Excess Baggage some good news ..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I normally fly Cebu Pacific Airways to and around Philippines.

At check in last December I had a major arguement with them in as I had prepaid for 15kg of "sports equipment" whereas at check in they advised me that the Scuba gear I was checking in wasn't classed by them as sports equipment :no: ~ instead they wanted me to pay full excess baggage for it ! After much arguement I insisted the Scuba gear was infact a set of Golf clubs, as seemingly those would be classed as "sports equipment" !!

Good news is, on travelling last month, I was told by Cebu Pacific (at same check in location) that they have now altered their 'sports equipment' lists and rules - and Scuba gear is now on their rules/lists as 'sports equipment' - thus if pre paying a little extra in advance when booking tickets, I can now check in 15 kg of Scuba gear, as well as the normal baggage allowances, thus no more excess baggage charges !!

I wish all airlines would follow suit, but good on Cebu Pacific Airways, top marks, and no excuse for me not to book another cheapie flight to Philippines :D.

Cheers

Thanks for verifying that this works. I checked that option when booking my Cebu Pacific flights in three weeks.

I think Air Asia has a similar policy for scuba gear as 'sport equipment bag'

Do you know if the extra 15kg sports allowance gear can be in the same bag as the rest of your luggage or does it have to be in a separate bag ?

I use Philippine Airlines for most of my domestic flights within the Philippines.... They have had the Sports Plus Package for a long time. It allows you 20KG additional allowance on domestic flights. I love it!!!!

From the website:"SportsPlus allows you to carry an additional twenty (20) kilos of sports equipment each time you take a Philippine Airlines flight (Except PAL Express and Econolight ticket holders)."

Are you an avid Golfer, Bowler, Diver, Cyclist, Tennis and Badminton player or Angler? Then this unique feature is for you!

SportsPlus allows you to carry an additional twenty (20) kilos of sports equipment each time you take a Philippine Airlines flight (Except PAL Express and Econolight ticket holders). Choose from among three subscription levels, each valid for one year.

LEVEL BENEFIT ANNUAL FEE
SportsPlus Philippines Twenty (20) kg on Philippine Airlines domestic flights
US$30

SportsPlus Asia Twenty (20) kg on Philippine Airlines flights within Asia
US$60

SportsPlus Global Twenty (20) kg on Philippine Airlines flights worldwide excluding US and Canada; or one (1) extra piece of luggage to/from US and Canada (not exceeding 20kg)
US$120

Please note that you are allowed carriage of sports equipment for one sport at a time, and for the following items:

TYPE OF SPORT SPORTS EQUIPMENT INCLUSIVE OF
Golf golf set: bags, clubs and balls
golf shoes
golf umbrella

Bowling bowling balls
bowling shoes
bowling gloves or wrister

Scuba Diving diving tank (aluminum or steel) without oxygen
weight belt (lead)
back pack with scuba diving paraphernalia
snorkel, mask and fins
wet suit
underwater camera
depth gauge or decometer
air regulator
buoyancy compensator jacket

Sportfishing sinkers
rods in case, not exceeding 5ft in length when folded
reels
tackle box, not exceeding 45in in length
gaffs

Cycling mountain/racer/road bike
helmet
cyclist shoes
bicycle locks
bicycle pumps
bicycle trainers
bicycle lights

Tennis tennis bag (single or 6 racquet bag pack)
tennis racket
tennis balls
tennis strings
tennis grips
tennis shoes

Badminton badminton bag
badminton racquet
badminton shuttle cocks
badminton strings
badminton grips
badminton shoes

I used to fly Cebu Pacific, but it was too hard to book online and the service center in Cebu was always crowded.

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if the extra 15kg sports allowance gear can be in the same bag as the rest of your luggage or does it have to be in a separate bag ?

Russ - Cebu Pacific told me it should be seperate, ie:15kg Diving gear in one bag, and normal baggage up to 15kg in other baggage, for International flights.

---

Philippine Airlines - Their International flights to and from Manila are normally a lot more expensive than Cebu Pacific, thus I have never used them, but good to hear they have allowances on the domestics.

Cheers

Russ - Cebu Pacific told me it should be seperate, ie:15kg Diving gear in one bag, and normal baggage up to 15kg in other baggage, for International flights.

Thanks, I thought that would the reply, but when I tried e-mailing cebu pacific last year I never had any replies to any e-mails I sent them.

Just FYI I was booking with Cebu Pacific last night. THey also now have an excess baggage pre pay optoin. Per leg of your trip it's an extra 5 KG for 357 Php and 10 KG for 714. So if you know you have less than 15KG of sport gear you can save a little cash.

The small print in Cebu Pacific's website says:

Scuba/Diving Equipment
- Must be securely packed in a hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. No scuba tanks. Buoyancy control devices and regulators may be hand carried provided they pass the prescribed dimensions for overhead bins.

Does any one have experience of checking in normal dive bags ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom