Exceeded NDL by a bit, but computer cleared me. What should I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your misunderstanding. I’m saying if you intended to do a deco dive, but didn’t actually end up going into deco, you don’t still do the now unnecessary deco.
No, your misunderstanding, I think I was quite clear, you do the deco dictated by your computer at the end of the dive, the end of the actual dive, right?

I think there were many misunderstandings in this thread. That's one of the problems

Limits. Your PDC isn't your only limit. Treating it as such will cause problems. Exercise immediately after a "safe" dive is one of many factors that can result in trauma.
Being extra cautious, I try to avoid exercise for at least a week after I dive... unless, of course, I'm not diving for more than a week, in which case I'll increase my exercise abstinence accordingly.

Better safe than sorry. This strategy helps me avoid both DCS and exercise, so it's a win win 😉.

Off topic: how you holding up down there in whirly weather alley?
It never got within a hundred miles of me. A bit breezy but not a drop of rain. We're also experiencing lower than average temps for this time of year, and that's nice. Lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s.

Being extra cautious, I try to avoid exercise for at least a week after I dive.
Probably a 24 hour wait is sufficient before working out unless you enter deco. But that's not what I was referring to. People are often excited after a dive and just feel a need to do something. They are ultra-quick to change over their gear for the next dive, rather than relaxing for at least fifteen minutes.

Yeah... fifteen minutes. Except for some shallow dives, you'll have an hour interval, so don't rush it. Let the gas exit a bit.

If it's the last dive on a boat, I'll relax till just before we hit the dock to tear things down.

If I'm shore diving, like in a cave, I do any deco + 3, or a full five-minute safety stop. Then it's another 5 minutes resting on the surface, and then I enjoy a fifteen-minute relaxation time after I get out and put my tanks/rebreather down. If I'm side mounting, I'll leave my tanks by the exit during this time. No needless walking allowed.

Think of all your needless exercise while you're still gassy as akin to shaking a can of soda. If you're breathing hard, you're over doing it. Do your body a favor by taking a chill pill and relaxing!

In boat diving there is truly little chance of avoiding exercise.
In the smallest seas, your skeletal muscles get a workout just stabilzing you. In moderate seas you will certainly get a workout.

In the smallest seas, your skeletal muscles get a workout just stabilzing you. In moderate seas you will certainly get a workout.
Float on the tag line after making an extended safety stop. Even adding a few minutes on each will decrease your DCS potential from exertion immediately after a dive.

Edit: remove your weights and kit if the sea conditions allow and have the deck hand take care of them. If it is just you then remove your kit and clip it to the tag line or boat and wait 10 - 15 minutes before hauling it back in the boat.

This simple drift dive in Jupiter illustrates a couple of important things.

The GF at the end of the safety stop was 17, that blossomed to 60 at the surface after a 2-minute final ascent. Your final ascent should be slow.

My end dive is set for 10 min. The GF of 60, after surfacing, decreased to 44 after 10 min on the surface. Waiting for 10-15 min before doing anything strenuous will allow your GF to decrease significantly.

1664565922828.png

carrying doubles and deco bottles back to the car
And, carrying doubles and deco bottles back down the dock to the car.

We rarely used tag lines for people or gear unless we had a disabled or elderly diver onboard.
Nor did we have the time or patience to let people float around willy nilly.
If you are diving so close to edge that 15 minutes of leisure actually precludes DCS, you are way too close to the edge.
If not, we didn't have time nor patience for cockamamie schemes to increase one diver's personal comfort level.
Then again we rarely did less than three dives a day unless they were mix dives.

Back
Top Bottom