Exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I should have been more specific:

For metric, use Kelvin. Add 273C to T1/T2

For imperial, use Rankine. Add 460F to T1/T2

Sorry man, I use Imperial by default....

Reference pp. 4-29 PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving

b1gcountry:
Well, I guess I prefer the hard way, as it is not another thing I have to remember. I always forget if its 5psi per degree Celcius or Farenheit. It doesn't matter as long as you can get the right answer, so do it the way that works for you.

...and Charles' Law uses temps in Kelvin, not Rankin.

woo.. missed a few days of this , internet is hard to find here !

done 2 exams so far (assisting certifiecd and assisting student) , helped out as the dead guy in rescue diver class today , observed an open water class yesterday.

I have a slight issue though , one of the instructors at the place im doing it at is well to put it bluntly a complete ***** to me.. now i understand im basicaly the slave for the time im here and that i need to be taught how to fill tanks and how to load 30 on the boat at 8am while everyone else at the hotel is in bed lol but im basiacly getting a 'shouting at' for the slightest thing that goes wrong. Now this person isn't my main isntructor , however i feel that if i go in with the wrong approach (ie telling this person to back off) it may turn out badly for the rest of my DM program..

Oh , I'm 19 by the way , whilst i may be wrong i do suspect had i been 35 there would be less chance of this person having such a go at me..

so to sum up .. i wanna know :) a) is this normal ? i mean the main instructor i have is fine and if i do stuff wrong he js corrects be but the other has like a full on go and b) how do i tactfully tell this person to back off !?

Thanks in advance :d

lloydmcwalters:
woo.. missed a few days of this , internet is hard to find here !

done 2 exams so far (assisting certifiecd and assisting student) , helped out as the dead guy in rescue diver class today , observed an open water class yesterday.

I have a slight issue though , one of the instructors at the place im doing it at is well to put it bluntly a complete ***** to me.. now i understand im basicaly the slave for the time im here and that i need to be taught how to fill tanks and how to load 30 on the boat at 8am while everyone else at the hotel is in bed lol but im basiacly getting a 'shouting at' for the slightest thing that goes wrong. Now this person isn't my main isntructor , however i feel that if i go in with the wrong approach (ie telling this person to back off) it may turn out badly for the rest of my DM program..

Oh , I'm 19 by the way , whilst i may be wrong i do suspect had i been 35 there would be less chance of this person having such a go at me..

so to sum up .. i wanna know :) a) is this normal ? i mean the main instructor i have is fine and if i do stuff wrong he js corrects be but the other has like a full on go and b) how do i tactfully tell this person to back off !?

Tactfully remind him that you are NOT a nor his child and in this "professional environment" you expect to be treated as a Professional. YOU are paying him to teach you, not to yell at you. If he has an issue after you talk to him about it, go to the next instructor in line. In every Business there is a chain of command.

lloydmcwalters:
I have a slight issue though , one of the instructors at the place im doing it at is well to put it bluntly a complete ***** to me.. now i understand im basicaly the slave for the time im here and that i need to be taught how to fill tanks and how to load 30 on the boat at 8am
Maybe, but you're still a customer too, have a quiet word with him and/or you're main instructor.

lloydmcwalters:

a) Yes...

Sorry I have to laugh, I think we have all been there... In fact we have one at the moment (and I mean this in a nice way) a "Dive ******", who does the cylinders, washes the gear and general stuff, he is working for free, however their payment is taking them from AOW right upto OWSI (including all fees, books etc) - so not exactly working for free..

Anyway, one of the instructors here, is very demanding and barks orders - heck I've been on the recieving end! lol where as the others is more "Please could you..., thanks for that..." (Positive Reinforcement :eyebrow:)

If the guy has even a second for himself, the Instructor thinks he is lazy and is not contributing...

Its nothing personal, its just their character, perhaps this Instructor sees you as a threat? or feels that you working for free is undermining their job...

As to how to 'fix' the issue - do you get on in a more socialable why? why not go for a beer with him/them and see if its a personal issue or just his work eithic?

Good luck, if all fails - its only for a few weeks! :D

At no time did any of the staff of my LDS treat me in this way. I simply would not have tolerated it. As another said above, you are a professional and should expect to be treated as such. The days of professional hazing, for me anyway, are well behind me in whatever I pursue.

You can only be treated that way if you let the person do it.

Many will say this is normal, this is just the way it is, been there done that, you're earning your way just as we did before you...etc....etc. It's not that hard work is not expected, it most certainly is and you should put forth maximum effort. There is alot of work to be done when dealing with students, especially large classes. As a DM you do need to take care of the "grunt work" so the Instructor(s) can focus on the students and paperwork. The students will get a better education and have a richer experience for it.

But barking orders, jumping down your throat, and just being an **** in general...NO. Do not tolerate it.

Joe-Diver:
At no time did any of the staff of my LDS treat me in this way. I simply would not have tolerated it. As another said above, you are a professional and should expect to be treated as such. The days of professional hazing, for me anyway, are well behind me in whatever I pursue.

You can only be treated that way if you let the person do it.

Many will say this is normal, this is just the way it is, been there done that, you're earning your way just as we did before you...etc....etc. It's not that hard work is not expected, it most certainly is and you should put forth maximum effort. There is alot of work to be done when dealing with students, especially large classes. As a DM you do need to take care of the "grunt work" so the Instructor(s) can focus on the students and paperwork. The students will get a better education and have a richer experience for it.

But barking orders, jumping down your throat, and just being an **** in general...NO. Do not tolerate it.

Yeah, when you fart in a USMC Lieutenant General’s chair then back burner him for 2 weeks, NO ONE in the civilian world can intimidate you.:D

You know another name for divemaster candidate...Dive b..tch:) I have to agree with The Trickster...We've all been there. I definitely had my share of grunt work but even though you may not think so, you are learning at the same time. You gotta pay your dues...As far as people being disrespectful...IMHO it is not acceptable...Believe me...If you are assertive in a nonaggresive way...Let them know that you feel it is unacceptable, you will be surprised how they will back down. As long as you take it they will keep being disrespectful...

You're a Divemaster Candidate, that's a paying customer worthy of respect.

Soon you'll be a dues-paying, insurance-paying, card-carrying, Divemaster ... a horse of a very different color.:D

Back
Top Bottom