Ex-HMAS Tobruk scuttled off the Queensland coast to become dive wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently idi a few enjoyable dives on the Tobruk. The orientation makes it 'interesting' ... think of more looking vertically to see things than horizontally. I would have preferred it upright but this way does make you think more. There's a phone you can pick up, levers to pull, toilets on the 'wall', complete with a toilet brush and my most enjoyable part was the tank deck; it's a long dark peaceful swim through. The wreck is already attracting aquatic life. It has a shy resident (~2m) grouper that's called Cooper, a super friendly turtle whose name I forget, and some of the biggest barracuda I've seen (DM estimated 1.5m). Most parts of the ship are accessible and there's nothing scary. Bottom temp was 26deg.

I went with Hervey Bay Dive Centre. Friendly crew, their boat's a good size, comfortable and not too many divers.

This virtual tour and ship plans are well worth a study pre-dive: Ex-HMAS Tobruk—from Wreck to Reef | Environment, land and water | Queensland Government

While you're nearby Wolf Rock (Rainbow Beach) is a mere 2hr bus ride down the coast and the sharks are very placid! We also spotted a manta, it's the start of the manta season now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom