Ex-HMAS Tobruk scuttled off the Queensland coast to become dive wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver257a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last edited:
Hopefully exciting news for QLD. There has been some negative comments regarding the location (far from port/dirty water/strong current). I Found Dive Hervey bay online charging $200 for an advanced booking double dive with tanks and weights.

Location not ideal, but reserving judgement till I can get in there. Give it some time to settle first though I think.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Not getting much press but she landed on her side, nice photo of it at the above link. I had previous emailed some operators and got this response today

"Hello sadly there are no dates for the Tobruk due to the scuttling causing it to be on its side new plans are under way"

so it should still be dive-able, might just take a little longer

I commented on how it landed on the bottom in Tracy’s photo below. I questioned wether it landed upright or not. It’s a shame but may make it a more technical dive if half the cut outs are covered by sand.
5565F075-A860-4DE1-AD6C-3F19BA281269.png

It is over 25 nm from either of the two closest ports. That makes it a 100 km round trip. The water in that area (when I have sailed through four times in recent years) has been very dirty. With the added problem that it is on its side, I doubt that this will ever be a success. Right from the start I questioned the decision to give it to this area due to the remoteness and also the fact that it is not near any great population.

If it was sunk off Sydney or a close location to Sydney, the economic benefit would have been huge. I am sad at the waste of this resource.

Should have been sunk in Tassie, every other state has warship (or two) scuttled in their waters, typically Tassie misses out. Hopefully we get the next one, the HMAS Darwin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom