EW! What is IT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadweeb

Reaction score
O.K. - Got a question for y'all. Saturday morning I finished diving around 9 am. As far as I know, I hadn't run into anything nor was I stung by anything. When I came up, nothing seemed "out of whack". About an hour or so later, I took a fresh water shower. About three hours later, little bumps were popping up all around my neck and Lord have mercy, do they iiiiittcchh! Today is Wednesday and after applying about 6 gallons of Aveeno to my neck & two nights taking Benadryl they are still there! They aren’t spreading and seem to be (very slowly) getting better. What the heck is it?! How long will it last?!

Hello scubadweeb:

Of course, 'Dermatology' is a "visual" specialty and it is impossible to diagnose without seeing and feeling the rash -but a rash coming on after a fresh water shower following a sea water dive almost has to be due to nematocytes from jellyfish, usually the 'thimble' jellyfish. (Sea lice)
http://www.scuba-doc.com/otherderms.htm

Other possibilities include allergy to one of the neoprene accelerators in your wet suit and 'PMLE' (polymorphous light eruption), a reaction to sunlight.
http://www.scuba-doc.com/PMLE.html

In any event, it would appear that you are doing the right thing (since it is improving). One other thing you might do is to try some cream that contains 0.1% hydrocortisone. If it doesn't clear rapidly, a visit to your friendly derm might be in order, and less expensive in the long run.

I must admit the moment I read the words "Sea Lice" I ALMOST had a coronary arrest. Thanks for also providing the addresses for some sites that go into detail about it. I also must admit that I like the term “sea breathers eruption” better than the “L” word. After reviewing several articles, I think you are 100% correct. Thanks for the tip on the HCI. I’m using Aveeno and it really works. Also, the rash has gone down my bumps can barely be seen. Is there anyway you can tell when you run into these little buggars to prevent being hit?

Hi scubadweeb,

"Sea lice" do sound ugly, but in fact aren't really lice at all. In the water they appear like a bit of pepper, and look nothing like lice under the microscope

Below is an edited version of an item from my "Ask RSD" column in the October 1999 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"A common form of skin disorder after diving is Sea Bather's Eruption, or SBE. Often mistakenly attributed to "sea lice," which are parasites of fish, SBE is primarily caused by the larval form of thimble jellyfish, very small creatures which float near the surface. Found in Florida, Mexico and the wider Caribbean, they are most numerous from March to August, with early April to early June being peak season.

The main feature of SBE is raised and itchy red welts/blotches which appear 4 to 24 hours after swimming or diving. The larvae tend to attach to swim wear, dive suits and hair, causing the skin under covered areas of the body and around the back of the neck to be most affected. Depending on exposure and individual sensitivity, there may be fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, generalized weakness or chills.

Prevention of stings is the best way to combat SBE. You should: (1) Ask resorts and dive shops if they are aware of heavy infestation; (2) Wear a snug fitting full body protective suit which fits tightly at the neck, wrist and ankle. Swim suits and T-shirts are not recommended; (3) Apply a thin layer of sun protectant, baby oil or petroleum jelly to the skin; (4) Remove wet garments immediately and wash yourself thoroughly. Do not rinse off with any items on; and (5) When surfacing, vigorously purge your second stage above your head just before breaking the water. If on a night dive, turn your light off at the safety stop and keep it off.

If you do get stung: (1) Immediately apply a mixture of 1/2 isopropyl alcohol and 1/2 vinegar to affected skin areas. Allow it to sit for a couple of minutes; (2) Or, put on a thin paste of meat tenderizer and allow to dry. In place of meat tenderizer, some find it more soothing to rub the area with papaya if it is readily available; (3) Bathing in or applying colloidal oatmeal, which can be purchased at the pharmacy or grocery store, may afford additional relief; (4) Follow these actions with the topical application of hydrocortisone cream/lotion, twice a day. If you do not have or cannot use hydrocortisone, Calamine lotion with menthol can be applied; (5) Take a non-sedating oral antihistamine, such as Allegra or Claritin, if the allergic reaction continues; and (6) Wash all garments well in warm, soapy water and let dry completely before wearing again.

Remember that if you have a severe allergic reaction, or don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, or the eruption seems to be getting worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner."

Hopefully this leaves you feeling less queasy about the critters responsible for SBE, and better educated about the nature, prevention & treatment of the condition.

DocVikingo

I am NOT a doctor, first off--so listen to them first, they are probably right. I just wanted to comment because your problem sounds similar to something that happens to me. You didn't say if you were male or female--so just in case, I don't mean to offend.

I am female and when I shave my legs then go diving, I get red itchy bumps where the hairs grow back--I don't know why, it just happens (I have sensative skin). If you are like my husband and shave down your neck where a beard would grow--it might be something similar. Since I made the connection, I just don't shave before I dive and I don't have a problem. Although mine never spread like yours did--they do last a few days and it takes an effort not to sratch.

No offense taken, Caron. I am a woman and understand what you mean about “bumps” after shaving. I’m fairly certain I was “hit” by swimmer eruption. (I’m NEVER going to use the Sea “L” word)!

And a great big THANK YOU to DocVikingo! Your clarification of the “L” word makes me feel better (and since it’s posted-perhaps other divers won’t feel a need to wash their hands after sending a post)!

The recommended remedies worked! One week later I’m bump free and people at the office have stopped taking 10 steps back when I approach. In the future, I’ll try DocVikingo’s preventative measures. Thanks again!

If you are on a boat with no treatment available you have the option of a natural cure....use your imagination (think ammonia). Or, spray affected area with windex if available (most boats have a bottle on board) if you do it right away it heals alot faster. There is also a new product that is a sunscreen/sealice repelent combo (Blue bottle, says Sea Lice on it). However, I think any creme/oil that blocks your pores will keep the little bits away from your skin.

Back
Top Bottom