Evinrude E-TEC 70 hp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
I know these are fairly new motors but I've heard only good things about them here in Belize. Very economical and so far, durable. I'm trying to decide between 70hp four stroke (Honda, Suzuki) or this E-Tec. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I've moved up the coast here in Belize near Dangriga so I'm much closer to the reef. I sold my other boat which was a real gas hog. Yamaha carbureted two strokes are as reliable as can be but they are thirsty motors.Hank

Well, I appreciate the flood of responses, positive and negetive...but I went and got a 90 hp E-TEC today. I'll let you all know, because I realize you're biting your nails in anticipatioin, how it works out. I've never seen an outboard that flows so much water through the cooling system though. And quiet too. More to come....Hank

if it helps, they only get good reviews down here in Australia, but they're expensive, prohibitively so...

well, for poor saps like me they are expensive at least :wink:

Hank49:
I know these are fairly new motors but I've heard only good things about them here in Belize. Very economical and so far, durable. I'm trying to decide between 70hp four stroke (Honda, Suzuki) or this E-Tec. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I've moved up the coast here in Belize near Dangriga so I'm much closer to the reef. I sold my other boat which was a real gas hog. Yamaha carbureted two strokes are as reliable as can be but they are thirsty motors.Hank

If it helps, a dive buddy of mine bought an Evinrude 250 hp saltwater edition for his boat.
Constantly raves about it being clean, efficient etc.

IMG_3786-edited.jpg

Chuck Tribolet:
They seem to have a very good rep on the Boston Whaler list. Ligjht, clean and great gas
mileage. The undercurrent of concern is that their predecessor, the FICHT, drove OMC
into bankruptcy. But so far they seem good.

This is what I heard too. You couldn't get parts for Evinrude here a few years ago. But a guy told me that Bombadier bought them out and saw that they had been developing this new concept for two stroke motors. So they took it and ran. In a yamaha dominated market here, I've heard many good things. A bunch of guys on Spearboard say they're proving their worth up in Florida too. Better mileage than four strokes of the same HP especially when trolling. And they use only half the oil. It must be the tech because they're burning 100:1. And, they have a 3 year full warranty. So I took a gamble and bought a 90 yesterday. I have to get my boat now....a 25 foot Mexican skiff which is being built. I loved my Yamaha but with gas over USD$5/gallon here I needed to economize. I"ll keep you posted once I get it in the water. Hank

NIce picture Jamdiver. Thanks.

And Masterfish, they're cheaper than Hondas here. About the same as Yamaha. ???? We have a 30% duty on them. The 90s go for US$8000 here.

I've herad nothing but good things about them, but don't know anyone outside the posts here that owns one.

one of the things I've heard that it is more emission free than most 4-strokes? anyone seen any data to back that up?

Hank49. Give us a report on it after you've gotten a little use on it.

I've heard better things about OMC now that they are owned by the Sea Doo company. I think Bombardier. Anyway I think the key is preventive maint. Fresh water and soap best medicine ever for a salt water motor. Happy boating!

mike_s:
I've herad nothing but good things about them, but don't know anyone outside the posts here that owns one.

one of the things I've heard that it is more emission free than most 4-strokes? anyone seen any data to back that up?

Well, they meet the California CARB 2008 emissions standard, which I think is the toughest
there is (California usually is).

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/E-Tec/E-TEC.Advantage/Cleaner.Quieter.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom