Everyone gets along!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starrtent

Reaction score
Dive 12/30 - 1/2 and loved every minute. Stayed at Casa Mexicana for in-town experience. Wanted the good restaurants and got them. Deep Blue was an excellent dive operator and DM's Hector, Javier and driver Chono were great to myself, wife and daughter. I did my homework on ScubaBoard and read all the threads. So when I arrived my thought pattern was that the dive operators were so competitive that we would be ducking bullets at the dive sites.

Fortunately, this is not the case. Every boat we passed got a wave and if possible, a friendly exclamation. When tied to the piers during SI, all the operators would help the other boats dock and manuver. My impression now is that any boat or dive operation would help another in time of need. I cannot wait to go back.

We had our snafu's, nothing that could not be handled. ScubaBoard was a great resourse for the information to get us out of our jams. I was taught by my instructor to research and plan my dives. Could not have done this one without all the posts and info on ScubaBoard!

starrtent:
... when I arrive my thought pattern was that the dive operators were so competitive that we would be ducking bullets at the dive sites.

Not so, as you have seen. There is indeed "fierce" competition between the dive companies, but for the vast majority a pervading sense of fair play overlays it all. That, and the knowledge that that DM on the other boat could very well be your boss next week. ;^)

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip, and I'm glad that we were able to help.

Cheers,

starrtent:
Deep Blue was an excellent dive operator and DM's Hector, Javier and driver Chono were great to myself, wife and daughter. I did my homework on ScubaBoard and read all the threads. So when I arrive my thought pattern was that the dive operators were so competitive that we would be ducking bullets at the dive sites.
I dove with Deep Blue October 29th of 2004 for a couple of tanks, and thought them to be a pretty good shop. My DM was Javier, captain was Alvaro. The shop owners (sorry, I forget their names) were very friendly.

From what I have seen the fierce competition is extremely beneficial to us as divers. With a few exceptions, the competition between shops manifests itself as dive shop owners (and their employees) trying to outdo each other to make us feel good about our dive experiences. That in turn brings in repeat business and great word-of-mouth advertising.

Jerry

ggunn:
Not so, as you have seen. There is indeed "fierce" competition between the dive companies, but for the vast majority a pervading sense of fair play overlays it all. That, and the knowledge that that DM on the other boat could very well be your boss next week. ;^)

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip, and I'm glad that we were able to help.

Cheers,

Had to edit because I totally misread Gordon's post :) Sorry Gordon...

Yes Starrtent, Cozumel is very friendly even with the competition. Shop owners with bad attitudes towards other shops are the exception rather than the rule and there is only one or two I can even think of that are like that. The rest of us, shop owners, employees and customers are very friendly and helpful as stated by the original poster. That IS how it is every single day.

As a matter of fact, Deep Blue calls me if they needs spaces and I call them if I need spaces. Same goes for several other operators Liquid Blue, Blue Angel, Papa Hogs, Living Underwater, etc. We loan each other tanks and equipment when needed/available, we help each other out however we can because we all know there is enough of the pie to go around and we all have things different customers like or don't like. Prices, bottom times, pick-up locations, snacks, DM's, etc. etc.

As I have said so many times before, there are many, many good shops on this island, and you should find the one that meets your particualr needs and that you are happy with...that's what's important.

Sometimes I think the customers are in more competition than the shop owners are :1poke:. Your job is to come down, have fun and dive with whoever you want, whenever you want...it's YOUR vacation! :daisysmil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom