Ever wonder why your carry on gets searched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry. I forgot to tell you that since I can't ever trust planes to be on time I always leave an absolute minimum of 2 hours layover in the Toronto airport. Usually 3. So I go outside the terminal to smoke my pipe, then go back through security to get to my flight . That's when the boots come off. I just ask to make sure and they say yes, boots off--as you say, they may think there is something metal in them.
That now makes sense. You offered to take them off, so they said "Sure, go ahead, knock yourself out!"

Do you have metal in them? If not then there is no need to remove them. None of my footwear has metal. I never take them off travelling domestic.

They will only force you to remove your footwear if they will not go through the body scanner thingy without making it beep.

They do play some silly games sometimes. I was recently forced to remove my plastic Timex Ironman watch because they "thought" it would set the scanner off.

Agreed.

My question was in response to divinh claiming that a "visual" decision was made by an airport agent to direct someone to extra screening. I am curious where this happens.

The normal random extra screening process used in North America is NOT based upon a visual inspection of the traveller. The decision is made before you ever arrive at the airport.

My travel arranger confirms the code is SSSS (not $$$$$) which stands for "Super Special Security Screening" - or maybe not?

SSSS stands for Secondary Security Screening Selection:

The 4-Letter Code You Do NOT Want To See On Your Boarding Pass

Secondary Security Screening Selection - Wikipedia

Why You're Always 'Randomly Selected' For Additional Airport Screening

Agreed. There is nothing "visual" about this program. The decision is made before anyone sees you.

The US and Canada have a subtle difference in their security process. The US has an extra checkpoint after the check-in as the first part of security. In Canada this is simply a "boarding pass check" to verify that you are actually a passenger before you proceed to the security lineup. All they do is scan your boarding pass, no ID required. In the US they have a (TSA?) agent that checks both your ID and boarding pass before the security scanners.

Maybe this is the point for a "visual" decision to be made in the US?

Agreed. There is nothing "visual" about this program. The decision is made before anyone sees you.

The US and Canada have a subtle difference in their security process. The US has an extra checkpoint after the check-in as the first part of security. In Canada this is simply a "boarding pass check" to verify that you are actually a passenger before you proceed to the security lineup. All they do is scan your boarding pass, no ID required. In the US they have a (TSA?) agent that checks both your ID and boarding pass before the security scanners.

Maybe this is the point for a "visual" decision to be made in the US?

No, the "visual" decision used to be made at the check-in desk, resulting in the code being printed at the desk on the boarding pass - or not.

If people check in online, it may or may not reduce random checks. The passenger's picture and name can still attract attention, with a few non-discriminatory secondary screens thrown in for good measure.

BTW, one clue that I have a screening code is that they hold my passport/boarding pass back until the last second, and send me on my way. They don't tell me which direction or which gate and hand it to me with the boarding pass tucked in and passport closed. In contrast, when I’m not flagged, they often turn the boarding pass toward me and point out the gate and time to be there.

Next time I get flagged I might say to them, "Ok, after my random check, I go to Gate ##." Nah, maybe not... :p

No, the "visual" decision used to be made at the check-in desk, resulting in the code being printed at the desk on the boarding pass - or not.

If people check in online, it may or may not reduce random checks. The passenger's picture and name can still attract attention, with a few non-discriminatory secondary screens thrown in for good measure.

BTW, one clue that I have a screening code is that they hold my passport/boarding pass back until the last second, and send me on my way. They don't tell me which direction or which gate and hand it to me with the boarding pass tucked in and passport closed. In contrast, when I’m not flagged, they often turn the boarding pass toward me and point out the gate and time to be there.

Next time I get flagged might say to them, "Ok, after my random check, I go to Gate ##." Nah, maybe not... :p
I would not agree with your model about the visual selection by the airline agent. The airline agent at the check-in desk is responsible for enforcing the airline rules. Airlines do not control security. CATSA is responsible for airport security in Canada, not Air Canada or West Jet or Air North.

Checking in online makes no difference. We always check in online. Every now and then we cannot complete our online check-in and are instructed to see a check-in agent at the airport. In these cases we know one of us has been selected for extra screening.

Now, once you hit security, they are free to enforce "flavour of the day". Which may include a decision based upon visual clues they observe and / or personal biases.

So place the blame on CATSA in Canada and TSA in the US - except for airports like SFO that use rent-a-cops instead of TSA for security.

Screening Partnership Program | Transportation Security Administration

My carry on has strobes, camera, ports, lenses, regulators, computer, housing, arms etc. and I fly with it all the time. I'd say about 10% of the time it gets searched. The regs are usually what they want, and I keep those in their own bag within the suitcase. But this is mostly domestic travel, maybe international destinations increase the frequency?

My carryon is much like yours - camera in a housing, lenses, strobes, batteries, laptop, etc - and it gets searched every time without fail, including connecting flights. In my latest misadventure, I got flat out denied entry into Egypt due to the contents of my camera bag - they did offer me the option to leave it at the checkpoint and collect it within a month, but (a) no way am I leaving ~$10k worth of gear in a random border shack, (b) I paid several thousand dollars to go do photography, and (c) my planned itinerary had me going home by a different route, meaning I wouldn't be able to collect it anyway, so I turned around and went home. My shortest international trip ever, at about 1 hour.
My bag got tossed again when I re-entered the 'home' side of the crossing.

I usually find a small degree of entertainment in watching my dive gear go through security.

It usually involves the guy at the monitor making it go back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth with a puzzled look on their face. Then they call someone else over and points at the stuff on the monitor, at which point the other person says "It's dive gear." in a tone that is meant to imply the first guy should have known better.

Then the second guy brings the bag to me and asks "Scuba regs?" To which I truthfully and obviously say "Yes."

At that point, there is a 50% probability that they ask to see inside the bag. If they do look, it sometimes seems like the agent is a diver themselves and just wants to check out gear.

I always have to laugh at the look the "monitor guy" gives though...

That now makes sense. You offered to take them off, so they said "Sure, go ahead, knock yourself out!"

Do you have metal in them? If not then there is no need to remove them. None of my footwear has metal. I never take them off travelling domestic.

They will only force you to remove your footwear if they will not go through the body scanner thingy without making it beep.

They do play some silly games sometimes. I was recently forced to remove my plastic Timex Ironman watch because they "thought" it would set the scanner off.
OK, we can kind of agree. Except that at least on half of my trips (probably none the last 5-6 years) in Toronto they TOLD me to take them off before I had a chance to ask. But agree in that the last few years when I did ask they said "yeah, there might be metal in those boots that would set it off". We also agree about them doing silly things you can't predict-- Canada or U.S.-- like why never any mention of boots off ever in Hfx. or Wpg.?
Here's a funny one-- A few years ago I was in the Hfx. airport and told my fishing lures needed to go in the checked bag. I also lad a bit of clothesline rope which they looked at and said OK for that. In Wpg. there was (then) security to get onto Greyhound (defunct now in Canada of course). This guy said the ropes had to go in the checked bag. So I guess on the plane I could've strangled someone with the ropes and on the bus, hooked them to death with the lures, which they never in the past had a problem with. Thus, my reason for just "giving up".

Turns out instructor slates work well for a search as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom