Ever wonder why your carry on gets searched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never, not been searched carrying on a rebreather. Then I get to give the TSA staff a lecture about what a rebreather is. I should get paid for this, oh wait, I do.

I think I've only flown with my regs 3-4 times, but every single time the regs get flagged on the x-ray. I had one occasion in Atlanta where the person who flagged them got at least 3 people to come look at them, they asked a few questions and the final person I spoke to told me there was initially concern that the long hose could be used as a weapon...
Ironic that a long hose might be a weapon when we use it to save someones life.

I would say my hit rate is between a third to half the time at non dive locations. I fly out of Philadelphia mostly. My carry on bag with my backplate rarely, if ever, gets checked. It is always by backpack with my regs. As others have said, it is the big chunk of brass with the hoses (wires) coming out of it.

Because my carry on is fully of weird looking things?

I think we are talking about the scuba gear here..... Not that "other" stuff. or is that just me?

Years ago I got a personal tour of the "backroom" where TSA does baggage inspections. Part of the reason was because I was tired of having my bags unpacked to be inspected and then half-arsed repacked. As such, I was invited out by the TSA FSD of local airport for a tour and chat. I was asked to bring along a "problematic bag."

It was good exchange and even humorous when the problematic bag went through the scanner. They let me look at the screen but said they could not tell me why what being flagged via the color coding as it was secure information. I said, no problem and started pointing out everything and why it was colored accordingly. They looked surprised, then I told them my Ph.D. was in medical image analysis I developed algorithms to detect features in images so I knew exactly why thing were being highlighted.

That aside, one thing I did learn is to pack everything in a series of separate smaller bags and not to have anything loose in the main bag. That way when they inspect they will inspect a smaller bag, and (hopefully) repack it, before going to the next.

yeah, try traveling with a Pakistani wife with the last name Khan and a teenage son with a wannabe beard and long hair like a taliban. random search, my ass. Our daughter got swabbed for bomb residue when she was 11 months old.

Funny part of it is, though, that I get searched and pulled aside almost every time we are traveling within Pakistan. We even got followed around up north by ISI and all the check points on the highway knew I was coming.
I am sorry that you have to deal with this. This is not ok

I am sorry that you have to deal with this. This is not ok

Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment. I don't travel with my son anymore cause he's 18 and an idiot for the lack of self-grooming. I guess I've gotten used to the extra attention we get. When my daughter was a baby I would make her cry in the security line so they moved us up to the front so I guess I deserve what I get now.

I once got pulled out and asked what was in the very bottom of my carry on. I just couldn't think what was triggering them. Turns out it was my snorkel.

Plastic coated lead bar camera housing weight. Vaguely pocket knife shaped, soft outside with nested solid bar. They looked it over and let it pass. Terrorists would never think to cover a knife in lead foil and then dip it in "Plasti-dip", drill a hole in the middle and put a thumb screw in it.

Another reason to be glad I don’t fly!

2019 coming back from diving in Ontario, I crossed back into theUS at the Soo. CBP officer craned his neck to look in the back of my SUV at diving gear after I told him why I’d been in the Great White North. I actually had a copy of my customs broker license on me. Figured that would be useful if things got a little weird.

Running joke in our group is to send me through the line first since I'm always the one to have a carry on, or two, selected for inspection. My other task is to also let TSA know more gear is on the way.
Why do I get checked? No clue, just lucky I guess. I'll carry on my reg, small Orca Torch cannister light, backup light, camera, strobe, tray & arm, wet lens, PDC's, plug strip, AA batteries and charger, some clothing and a few snacks.

Our trip a couple weeks ago again I was the lucky one. I asked the agent what it was that triggered the initial agents to send it to them for inspection. I my case, this time, it was the small cannister light. He didn't even open my case, he said enjoy your dives. A lot of it is dependent on the experience of the imaging agent.
They explained and showed how the various colors represent different materials. He showed how my crackers displayed versus, the cannister, versus the first stage.

Not going to change how I pack and I'm still the sacrificial lamb. :acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom