Ever wonder why your carry on gets searched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All essential dive gear goes in my carry on, BC, regs, primary mask etc.

Usually I'm bringing a stainless bpw and I figured that's why it always gers searched.

Today I'm bringing a regular back inflate and yup I got searched. Turns out it's the regs the I was told parts of them show up wonky on the xray.

The only time that my bag had ever been searched thoroughly as a backpacker or diver was at Cairns in 1996. The custom officer examined all my gear with "interested" and of course with some questions related with diving threw in.

I had to disassemble my rig going through Beijing and show the inspector how everything worked. I think it was more for him than security.
Oddly enough going through Amman, Jordan the guy just looked at the screen and said "Scuba" while giving me a thumbs up.
On another note, I went through London Heathrow with my bagpipes years ago and had guns leveled at me as they went through the x-ray. But that was right after Lockerbea.

The flight attendant saw the fins strapped to outside and asked if I was going someplace tropical

I was told by an inspector to pull my regs, battery holder & the couple of 1lb'rs I carry (camera trim) and place them in a second tray like you would your laptop and phone. This way they visually can see them and reconcile with what the x-ray is showing. Faster to repack than to be searched, especially if you pack your carryon bag(s) knowing those items need to come out.

GI Joe! The great American hero! Go Joe!

Every time I travel with my regs as carry on, I get my bag pulled and searched. Without fail

I think I've only flown with my regs 3-4 times, but every single time the regs get flagged on the x-ray. I had one occasion in Atlanta where the person who flagged them got at least 3 people to come look at them, they asked a few questions and the final person I spoke to told me there was initially concern that the long hose could be used as a weapon...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom