Ever seen an O-Ring blow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a student with a new regulator (maybe 9 dives on it) who's high pressure hose was a little loose and the o-ring on that blew out of the 1st stage. Luckily we were just getting ready to gear up and it was easy to locate and fix the problem. We learned that you should always make sure your hoses are snug even if you're diving a new or relatively new regulator.
Ber :lilbunny:

matt_unique:
Once - while I was taking a nap - my tank o-ring burst on my pony bottle. I was awake in a hurry.

--Matt

You weren't diving at the time were you? :wink:

I haven't had a tank neck o-ring let go (aside from having an argon neck o-ring do the fizzy bubbler once.)

However I did have the o-ring at the regulator end of the lp hose let go while diving a single lp steel 72.... early in the dive at 120' or so.

I've had three. Two yokes, one at six feet and the other just after surfacing from 130 feet. A neck O-ring blew on a set of doubles as I was getting into my drysuit. I sat out that dive. :)

Ive had a first stage O-ring go on entry to the water on a dive while on holiday and ive seen several more break when the system is first pressurised on land. All without fail have been A-clamp design which i personally hate.

As soon as i get the time im getting my regs converted to DIN.

I have seen it happen twice in the water, once when I was doing my instructor evaluation a fellow instructor candidate had one blow while swiming out from the beach, the cloud of spray was impressive. The other time was on a dive at around 80 feet.

Ike

I saw 4 yoke O-rings blow in one week in Cozumel. All on a 12 passenger boat run by one of the bigger operators. All within a minute or two after pressurizing. They seemed to use the 1 cent o-rings and didn't replace them until they blew. After the first day, I had the boat crew put new o-rings in each tank I used, even though all of the failures were with their rental regs.

Outside of that amazing week, I've only seen one other yoke o-ring and one burst disk let go.

matt_unique:
Sometimes on long deco stops with minimal current it is very relaxing.....I have heard of people falling asleep but I have not seen it personally.

--Matt

Yeah happened to a friend of mine. Woke up choking while doing a long deco. But then I have seen him take unusually long blinks while driving too. Scary stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom