Ever seen an O-Ring blow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoTanks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't know it this is the right place to ask this question, but it should be of special interest to solo divers.

How many people have ever had or seen an o-ring blow underwater?

I went years without seeing one and then last year I saw five.

Three yoke and two Din.

I haven't seen any since.

I had kind of assumed that it didn't really happen, but I would like to get an idea how often it does happen.

It looks to me like many solo divers aren't equiped for an o-ring failure.

I've seen one blow topside. What's the big deal if you are diving doubles s or are in shallow water?

Had one go last year in Thailand, just before I hit the water. Swapped it out and away we went.

A properly trained/equipped solo diver (as opposed to someone diving solo) should have a redundant air source.

MASS-Diver:
I've seen one blow topside. What's the big deal if you are diving doubles s or are in shallow water?

If you are in doubles there is no big deal. I just want to get an idea if it is as rare as I had thought, and let people know that it does happen.

TT :wink:

I have been fortunate to not have one blow underwater yet. I had one blow between dives and just after I strapped in literally ready to head back into the water. Nearly had to change my swimsuit!

TwoTanks:
I don't know it this is the right place to ask this question, but it should be of special interest to solo divers.

How many people have ever had or seen an o-ring blow underwater?

....snip.....

I haven't seen a DIN go yet but I've seen multiple yokes go.

I've never had this problem myself but when I still had a yoke I replaced my o-rings frequently (15-20 dives) even if they looked ok (flip them after 10, replace them after 20). If I have to rent a yoke tank on holidays the first thing I do is replace the o-ring. I don't even think about it.

Point is: you *know* it's a weak link. Be anal about it.

R..

Mine blew, then within 15 minutes my buddy's blew. All while we were gearing up for a cavern dive. I change mine long before they look like they need it since then.

Which brings me to another question. How often, & why, do you change your DIN O-rings?

I occasionally remove the DIN fitting from the regulator and give it a vinegar solution clean to remove any visible residual buildup - the faint white haze that slowly builds up in the threads over time (not salt crystals from not rinsing!!!). Change the o-ring at the same time, because you need to pick the old one out to clean it properly.

It happened to me 4 times. No big deal as my Spare Air came in handy. Turn off the air, back to the boat, swap a new O-ring, and get back to diving.

On 2 separate dive trips, the dive guides had their O-ring burst while underwater. Instead of buddy sharing air to goes up, I hand them my Spare Air and they just went up to the boat, swap o-ring and came back down to continue diving. Sometimes, it is good to have a completely separate redundent Air source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom