Ever replace your own Latex seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IaDiverJ&L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would think it would be better to have a back-up latex seals in dive bag. I have resoled my own Climbing shoes (yes, I've rockclmb for 25years) It was pretty easy to do. Heat guy(Hair dryer) Scrap most of old glue off, then replace. Any kits around? I think it would be faster to do it yourself. No turn around time, shipping etc. My Bare HD drysuit sleves seems a little long at first, but now I like the latex seal around the bottom part of hand (no tunnel effict, that I hear others talk about) instead on wrists.:D

IaDiverJ&L:
I would think it would be better to have a back-up latex seals in dive bag. I have resoled my own Climbing shoes (yes, I've rockclmb for 25years) It was pretty easy to do. Heat guy(Hair dryer) Scrap most of old glue off, then replace. Any kits around? I think it would be faster to do it yourself. No turn around time, shipping etc. My Bare HD drysuit sleves seems a little long at first, but now I like the latex seal around the bottom part of hand (no tunnel effict, that I hear others talk about) instead on wrists.:D

The book, "Dry Suit Diving: A Guide to Diving Dry" by Barsky, Long and Stinton, has pointers on replacing seals. Looks do-able, but probably not the most practical thing to do "in the field". It does seem a bit more involved than a sole of a boot. It says it would take 45 minutes to 2 hours to do the job, based on your skill level. I probably wouldn't mess with it myself, not without someone that knew what they were doing standing there giving me pointers.

My dive buddy yesterday ripped his neck seal. However, his suit used zip seal and he was able to get a spare. It was kind of neat that he was able to continue diving that day!

It's actually pretty easy. I've replace wrist seals and neck seals with no issues. Field repair would be a little difficult, but is possible. Wrist seals shouldn't take more than half an hour to complete, but then you have a drying time for the cement. So unless you are on a multiday trip, just throw on the 7mm and do it at home. The neck seal actually takes a little longer to do and is a little more involved. Check out this link for some basic instructions. I use McNett cement and sealant.

IaDiverJ&L:

Had my neck seal replaced by a friend of mine. He is a very experienced individual and did a good job considering I have no leaks but cosmetically it looks like crap (LOL). It definitely is dooable on your own, depends on your vanity!!!!!

I have done it several times on laminate suits for kayaking (similar, but no valves). Pretty easy to do and I just trim the old gasket down so that it is flush with the suit, rough it up with 100 grit sandpaper and glue the new seal to it. I have found a few containers over the years that are the perfect size for gasket work. You need to have something underneath the suit to stretch the gasket over and keep the wrinkles out. I then use electrical tape to put pressure on the seal. Works great and not that hard.

Probably couldn't do it "in the field" as the adhesive takes a while to cure.

Do you first go to the car dealer service dept. or do you go to the auto parts store?
Have you ever taken the back off of a non-working television or radio?

It is not hard if your first impression is "I should be able to do that". If on the other hand you think like dbg40 and automatically think you will screw it up... Then go ahead and turn that $2000 into a $2300 suit by sending it back for new seals.
I don't know if you call this cheap but, I do not like to pay others to do what I am perfectly able to handle on my own.
You will find lots of support on Scubaboard and you can find step by step instructions on the web. Hell...OS Systems sends instructions with every shipment of seals or glue.

I'm sure dbg40 can do anything he puts his mind to. He just doesn't want to bother with seals if he can afford not to so he can concentrate on other aspects of diving. If he can service regs he can do a seal but the tech part of his diving doesn't allow for a lot of error if he springs a leak at 85' at the bottom of a dark quarry or 130-160' on a sub off the cold waters of Rhode Island.

Dectek:
Do you first go to the car dealer service dept. or do you go to the auto parts store?
Have you ever taken the back off of a non-working television or radio?

It is not hard if your first impression is "I should be able to do that". If on the other hand you think like dbg40 and automatically think you will screw it up... Then go ahead and turn that $2000 into a $2300 suit by sending it back for new seals.
I don't know if you call this cheap but, I do not like to pay others to do what I am perfectly able to handle on my own.
You will find lots of support on Scubaboard and you can find step by step instructions on the web. Hell...OS Systems sends instructions with every shipment of seals or glue.

Hey,,good for you... However, I never said that I could not change a seal, I stated that, for a 2000.00 dollar suit, I will pay 130.00 dollars to have it done. It is little worth my time, effort, and possibility of a screw up (ill fitting, or damaged seal). And my time plied in areas that fit my talents, will easily make up for the cost to have it done once, and well. As for the vehicle? If it is the CJ Jeep, that I built, I will fix it. If it is my 42,000.00 dollar diesel pick up truck? I pay a mechanic. Another case of "pay and have the job done well, and once. There is no shame in having somone that does it for a living, do it. I have made a lot of money in ther past by redoing jobs for those that should have called me in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom