Ever leave a dive buddy behind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greg454:
I should have been suspicious when the dive shop didn't give me a dive computer. Maybe I should have asked for one. I also had no idea how long were we supposed to be on the bottom.
If you are diving in SE Florida, just a cheapo waterproof watch from Walmart, along with a depth gauge will suffice.

The bolded statement above is kind of scary. It kind of sounds like you were blindly relying upon others to plan your dive. It doesn't take much to look in a table and figure out a max time. Diving is a lot safer when you take responsibility for your own safety.

greg454:
Maybe I should have asked for one. I also had no idea how long were we supposed to be on the bottom.

Okay mate now you're scaring me. Go back to your study material and bone up on dive planning and how to use your tables. Search through this site and other you may be a member of for the following topics;

Gas Planning
Dive Planning
Decompression Theory

You might also want to read up on such topics as trust me dives, and insta buddies.

As a beginning OW diver (like myself) You MUST have a dive watch, an SPG and a solid knowledge of how to use your dive planner (which ever one your agency supplied to you during the course).

The way it sounds, you're going down a road that I did last year and it lead to a potentially dangerous dive incident.

Spend some book time getting to know the theory of diving as well as the practical safety skills and equipment side of the sport so the next time you go out on a dive you can take an active role in planning the dive, and know when, and how to terminate a dive.

You guys are right, except for you H2Andy. You're confusing this thread with the other thread.

When I did the theory part of OW, at http://www.scuba-training.net/, I struggled a bit with the diving tables. The rest was easy.

The diving shop did give me a depth gauge and an air gauge. Those I did use.

Hope I dont' scare any future dive buddies with my honesty. LOL.

greg454:
Your buddy has more air than you. You're 50 feet underwater and you only have 500 psi out the 3,000 psi. you started. You give the thumbs up signal, he ignores it, maybe because he has more air than you.

Is it ok to go up without him and assume he'll go up whenever he feels good and ready?

greg454: How about the other way around? Once while diving for Abalone off San Diego my good buddy ran out of air-using the old style J valve tank w/o a PG. By the time he reached me the buddy concept was long gone. He took my primary reg and locked on like it was his Mother. I did not have a secondary reg-1973-I bailed out of my tank and reg, I had a front mount BC, and made a free ascent from about 60-80 FSW. A few minutes later my friend surfaced with my tank and reg. "I was just about to give you the regulator back." Maybe he was.

greg454:
The diving shop did give me a depth gauge and an air gauge. Those I did use.

Hope I dont' scare any future dive buddies with my honesty. LOL.

It's not your honesty that will scare off other divers. That would be a complete lack of planning your dive, understanding your NDL limits, and not having necessary equipment.

Don't blame the Dive shop, you need to tell them what you need so you can keep yourself safe. A bottom timer is a fundemental piece of equipment even it it's a $20 Timex waterproof watch! This should have been covered in your training. Maybe "the rest" was not as easy as you believe as you seem to lack the knowledge necessary to plan a dive, understand your NDL, and know what equipment is necessary.

In addition to the lack of planning on your behalf, what about the DM or captain on the boat? Did they not give a good briefing as to the site conditions, what to expect, and how long to dive? Every boat I've been on the DM/Captain gives a briefing including max bottom time or air guidelines, and generally the site layout and features.

In general it goes something like, "We will be diving to X feet, the current is X knots, blah blah.... Surface after 60 minutes or start your ascent at 750psi whichever comes first. If you seperate from you buddy look for 1 minute, and then surface to meet at the surface/boat. Plan on a 3 minute Safety stop, or longer if you choose. Try to be out of the water by no later than noon. The pool is open!"

Of course even if the DM captain does NOT brief the divers, you should still have a plan. A good plan will include things like boat spotting (if necessary), review of communication signals, discussion of any goals (like maybe site navagation), who is leading, and whatever else you think will make the dive enjoyable and safe. It's too late to try and work out a plan once you are under the water unless you are very comfortable with your buddy.

Fine Ron, maybe you're more serious about everything, and that's your style. Me? I'm a trial and error kind of guy. I know the basics, if I forget things during actual diving, big deal. Next time I'll remember. I'm not a perfectionist.

I whish you the best of luck greg. I believe you will need it.

*snicker*

that would be true, were he for real

don't feed greg454

greg454:
Fine Ron, maybe you're more serious about everything, and that's your style. Me? I'm a trial and error kind of guy. I know the basics, if I forget things during actual diving, big deal. Next time I'll remember. I'm not a perfectionist.

I agree Greg. Who cares about checking your air? You'll know when you're out. I just found out that I'm supposed to be lubing the o-ring in my camera. I'll get around to it if I remember next time. I don't believe the rumors about a MOD for Nitrox either. What do they know? I like going deep so I will no matter what those "experts" say. I'm going to do whatever I want. Period.

Geeze, I thought this was Jep's thread. Never mind. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom