Ever been to Mackinac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marvintpa

Contributor
Reaction score
It surprises me how few divers in Ontario have been to the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. It is not exactly a booming business there, but they do have a small number of charter operations, and some exceptionally fine wrecks.
The weekend we spent there there was one of the best dive trips I've ever done, so I would highly recommend it (7 hour trip from Toronto, just to give you an idea of distance).

Some pictures can be found at
http://www.scubaq.ca/ontarioscubadiving/mackinac.htm

Marvintpa once bubbled...
It surprises me how few divers in Ontario have been to the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. .... so I would highly recommend it

I had a great time there at the begining of August -- here's my dive report Caution Piranhas in the water

Didn't you just love the Sandusky?

Lets see...thats about a 26-27 hour drive up I-75 from here.. How many shorties would I have to layer to stay warm in that water? Its really cool to see the pics of wrecks that are older than ones here but in such great shape, it would be even cooler to see in person!

Thanks for sharing, they are impressive. I see you found the Eber Ward, which happens to be my favorite wreck. Did you get to see Sam? He lives on the Ward. Though I was at the Straits this year, did not get a chance to do the Ward. Thanks for letting me "visit" her again.

Kim

CBulla once bubbled...
Lets see...thats about a 26-27 hour drive up I-75 from here.. How many shorties would I have to layer to stay warm in that water? Its really cool to see the pics of wrecks that are older than ones here but in such great shape, it would be even cooler to see in person!

how many shorties? Remind me WreckNCaver -- bottom temps were in the 40's?

Can you say one blue Floridian?

Tom: once again I have to say congrats on the pics... great, great shots!

Very true about the Straits... so close and such a wealth of wrecks... same is true of Thunder Bay preserve and the Thumb... both actually an hour or two closer to TO

Take care

DivingGal once bubbled...

how many shorties? Remind me WreckNCaver -- bottom temps were in the 40's?

Can you say one blue Floridian?

Thats what my wife tells me.. she's a transplant from up that way and says that when I come up from my first dive (her guess is less than 10 minutes cause to me below 70° is cold) she'll hand me a jar of cream to shake into butter.

I do have to say again though, the pics are incredible and the wrecks are just awesome. Other than newer intentional vessels, there isn't much that is anything near as intact as those.

CBulla once bubbled...
Thats what my wife tells me.. she's a transplant from up that way and says that when I come up from my first dive (her guess is less than 10 minutes cause to me below 70° is cold) she'll hand me a jar of cream to shake into butter.

too funny. Not too often that the water gets above that here. Not to worry, that's what hot tubs and hot toddies are for... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom