Event: Crystal River Dive & Pick-up (30 AUG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selrahc

Contributor
Reaction score
Event: Crystal River Dive & Pick-up
Cost: Free
Date / Time: Saturday Aug 30, 9:30 AM- Whenever
Dive Type: Shore, Nice and easy!

Info:

Hi all,

For those not going away for the weekend, I'm putting together a group to do a dive or 2, Picnic & Cleanup at Hunters Park Spring in Crystal River next weekend. The event will take place on Saturday, August 30. I plan on making a day of it!

Hunters Spring Park is a public access park and is Free. Parking is limited so you will want to arrive early to get a good spot. Parking can easily fill on a good weekend. The Park opens at 8AM and closes at Dusk. I plan to kick things off at 9:30 AM. 2 dives are planned (im bringing 2 tanks). 1 for cleaning, 1 for fun. :)

This is a nice Park. It doesn’t have boat access, but it has a nice little beach and decent facilities. There are 2 nearby springheads. One is less than 100 ft off the shore within the swimming area. The other is not far to the left. I was looking to do some nice and easy shore dives. I have no intention of trying to enter any of the springs, I simply want to get in the water and clean up the swimming area and the immediate surrounding areas as air permits. The dive area immediate around the park is fairly shallow, with depths of 15-20ft at the springhead and 6-10ft in the general area.

Anyone interested in joining? Here is the tentative schedule:

* 8:00-9AM Arrive at the public park meet/greet. Start Dive 1 around 9:30.
* Dive 1 – Pick up trash in the swim area and surrounding bay area near the park. I planned on killing 1 tank of gas on cleaning trash our of the water.
* Lunch at the Park. Bring your own food. Drinks will be provided :)
* Dive 2 – Leisure Dive around the area. Depending on who comes we can look at relocating or snorkeling up the waterway a little to another area to dive. I’ll also have a dive buoy should we decide to leave the swimming area. I will most likely have Kayak or 2 with me as well.
* Prior to leaving we will do an Area Cleanup on shore. This can be done at any time prior to, between, or after the dives. Primary cleanup focus is on water trash.
* Swim or relocate to another dive area nearby after first dive???
* Swimming, Lounging (hopefully in the sun), Kayaking and general horseplay throughout the day.
* Out whenever we decide to complete :)

As always, I'll provide Trash bags for the pickup and cold refreshments (Water for the dives, Water for the pick-up (Damn the Ciry Ordinances....). Bring your own food, any additional drink you like, and your gear/tanks (naturally). A wetsuit or shortie is recommended if diving as the water is spring cold.

There are restaurants nearby should you want to go out and grab food.
The primary focus of this pick-up will be removing trash from the water in the swimming area (Immediately south of the Park). Secondary objective is the springhead just east of the park (about 300ft out) and the surrounding bay area (South and East of the park). The sea grass has a tendency of collecting the trash people throw into our playground :shakehead:.

I will have 2 or 3 extra mesh bags available for collecting trash in the water but please bring yours should you have one. I will also have a dive buoy for when we leave the swimming area.

This is a very easy dive area with shallow depths and easy water access. A great dive for any level of expertise. There is the possibility of seeing Manatee as they do hang out in the area. Anyone interested please feel free to post or pm me. I’d love company no matter what your experience level. All welcome! I'll be there solo or company.

I plan on bringing 2 tanks, I’m sure I can use them up lol.
Shelter in the pavilions to get away from the afternoon showers. Last time I was there it rained for about an hour and we were right back out again.

About Hunters Spring Park:

Hunters Spring Park is a city run public park. Park access is Free. It is a small public park with parking for roughly 25-30 cars, maybe less. This is a very nice little park. There is a small white sand beach perfect for launching kayaks, swimming area, restrooms, covered pavilion, fresh water showers to clean our gear, a volley ball court and I believe there was a playground as well. There is a nice swimming area with a springhead within its boundary and another not far away. Swimming area depths range from 1ft to 15-20ft at the park’s springhead.

The facilities were fairly clean the last time I was on site. The park was also fairly clean with not too much trash in the area. There was some trash in the water, which I’d like to be the primary focus of at least 1 dive.

Many other dive locations are nearby as well.

A few years ago the area around the park was considered by some to be polluted and the water unclear. My last trip to the park saw conditions greatly improved. The spring is flowing clear and clean and the water quality was much better in the immediate bay area. It has been greatly cleaned up within the last few years, but there is still trash in the water, which I would like to collect as much of as possible when we go.

While there is no boat ramp at the park, there are a few around the immediate area. Want to ferry a few divers to a nicer spot for the second dive? Feel free to bring it along :eyebrow:.

Here is a map of the location of the lake:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Hunters%20Spring%20Park%2C%20Crystal%20River%2C%20FL&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I dove the Hunters Spring area a few weeks ago. Here is a link to my last report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/247000-dive-report-6-aug-crystal-river.html

Look forward to seeing you there!

~ Sel

Last edited:
I went to Hunters Spring to see if the storm had any effect on the area. The water was up many feet when the storm passed over, covering the parking lot, so I wanted to insure it was open and sound. The park was fairly cleaned up. Vis was down slightly but that was to be expected. I had 3 manatee hovering around the swim area when I jumpped in. Cool :)

There was alot of trash and debree in the water, from the storm obviously. :(

I did notice 2 other divers in the area... aparently they were with one of the tour groups and they were cleaning up the spring areas alittle as their clients pay to dive the area. I forgot to get their name so if they are on the board... thanks guys! I did tell them I had a pick-up planned for next weekend and they said they were sure they would miss stuff lol.

I took my detector with me as well and did a little scuba detecting. Scored fairly good :) Always pleased with that area. It was a good day all around. Killed 2 tanks lol.

Anyways, everything looking good so the pick-up is still on for next weekend. If anyone is interested please reply or PM so I know. Thanks!

~ Sel

Final bump for this event. Since there may be other divers in the area, just Look for the Central Florida Scuba Group sign :)

RSVP's are appreciated :)

Thanks!

~ Sel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom