Evaluation Skills Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcossis,

Problem with posting a skills breakdown (at least doing it here) is that while the basic way to do it is somewhat universal, the detailed steps are not....some do it one way, others do it another...and these things generally degenerate into an argument with possible agency bashing and comments on genetic history.

Your Instructor should work with you on this...none of us expects a Candidate to have Demonstration Quality Skills until we teach them.....

These are very good points. We know most DMCs can perform the skills; it's another matter entirely to break them down into sections that are slow, & exaggerated so that a new diver understands not only the mechanics of how to do the skill, but also what the end result is supposed to be like.

Some of the reasons we need DMs to be able to demo:
1) We may want/need the DM to demo the skill for the students. Not only is it fun, but it helps keep those demo-quality skills sharp.
2) If a student is experiencing a problem, we can hand that student over to a DM who will help the student achieve mastery, then bring them back to us as Instructors to evaluate the student.

The Skill Circuit is the same from DM up. No magic. No tricks. But DO make sure that you read, understand, & meet the PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS of each skill.

Bonne chance,

Something that has really helped me in learning how to demo skills is watching the demos on You Tube. There's even a video showing two divers doing the buddy breathing equipment exchange. (Which I'll be honest, I'm dreading that) Since not every one is the same nor exactly the way my instructor does them it's been a great tool to see different ways to demo.

Something that has really helped me in learning how to demo skills is watching the demos on You Tube. There's even a video showing two divers doing the buddy breathing equipment exchange. (Which I'll be honest, I'm dreading that) Since not every one is the same nor exactly the way my instructor does them it's been a great tool to see different ways to demo.
If you're going to use You Tube for an example I would first make sure you understand what the performance requirements are. One of those I watched I would have called for a redo and one the Instructor should be slapped up side the head.
This one would call for both YouTube - DM Stresstest Koh Tao

Some of the dive centers on Koh Tao have adopted a 'tradition' of using the DM 'problem solving' exercise as a 'stress test'.

Please bear in mind, that this exercise is not, and has never, been intended as a tool for 'overloading' trainee DMs.

In performing these tests, I have seen some schools/instructors put DM students into relatively dangerous scenarios and, in doing so, have definitely broken PADI standards.

Here is what the manual says...

The primary goal of the equipment exchange is problem solving, but with an added level of unanticipated problems and performance under stress. Because the exercise creates an environment with unforeseeable difficulties, candidates have to apply their experience and knowledge creatively, to meet the demands of the moment. This is an important aspect of leading divers and solving problems on the spot. This exercise is a problem solving evaluation and development tool only. It has no other application. It creates a controlled problems situation in which to develop and evaluate leadership-level problem solving under stress skills. Therefore, this exercise isn’t appropriate for training at lower diver levels.

Candidates must:
Demonstrate the ability to solve unanticipated problems underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while buddy breathing.
Candidates must earn a 3 or higher as described in the evaluation criteria.

For the Equipment Exchange exercise.... the scoring criteria is...

5 Task performed in a well-thought-out, efficient and purposeful manner with no sign of problems. Very low anxiety level. Looks routine and fun.
4 Task performed competently with a relatively low anxiety level. Problems encountered were easily and efficiently handled.
3 Complete exchange occurred without surfacing. However, numerous problems were encountered that delayed the speed and efficiency of the performance. The grade is also appropriate for a buddy who was overly dependent on the other, and who, in essence,
had everything done for him.
2 Significant problems demonstrated, and exchange completed only after one or both team members surfaced once.
1 Inability to complete the exchange, or exchange completed but required one or both members to surface more than once.
For the assessment of the 20 basic scuba skills, the scoring is as follows...

1 Candidate unable to perform exercise.
2 Exercise performed with significant difficulty or error.
3 Exercise performed correctly, though too quickly to adequately exhibit or illustrate details of the skill
4 Exercise performed correctly, and slowly enough to adequately exhibit or illustrate details of skill.
5 Exercise performed correctly, slowly and with exaggerated movement – appeared easy.
Basically... an Open Water student should reach Level 3. A DM candidate should be 4-5.

If you're going to use You Tube for an example I would first make sure you understand what the performance requirements are. One of those I watched I would have called for a redo and one the Instructor should be slapped up side the head.
This one would call for both YouTube - DM Stresstest Koh Tao

I agree. Some are pretty bad but I found them to be obviously bad. :shakehead: There are a few though that are pretty good...or at least entertaining! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom