Ev+ Ev-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desiredbard

Contributor
Reaction score
What is EV
Messed with my settings a couple of day back and my pics seemed a lot darker on display.
Now the only thing I found so far is that it has to do with contrast ...but anyone got a better explanation?
Or is this one of these things people take for granted like turning the volume dial and noise gets softer/louder?

Exposure Value....

turn it to minus to make your pictures darker
turn it to plus to make them lighter....

you should be able to do it in 1/3s..

so if your shot is too dark, turn the EV up.. and vice versa

A handy and quick way of bracketing your exposures

EV is exposure value; essentially it is certain combinations of shutter speed and apeture. It is also a measure used on some light meters.

It's not really something most photographers worry much about. Some cameras come with optional EV settings, so you can plug in a specific EV and the camera sets that. It is a way of determining the correct exposure ratio of a camera. For example, a camera may be able to record an image from EV 4 to EV 14, somthing like that. That is a sort of simplistic explanation, but it gives the general idea. The ISO and speed of the lens will also factor in.

If your camera is now in EV mode, and you don't want it there, you should be able to switch it out of that mode easily enough.

Jeff

EV stands for Exposure Value. It is the amount of light measured with a given aperture opening and shutter speed. Each increase in EV (+1) setting doubles the amount of light falling on the film or CCD. Each decrease in EF (-1) halves the amount of light falling on the film or CCD. Like Mike says, it is a way of exposure compensation to "trick" the camera's metering system. If you set the EV to +1 the amount of light falling on the film or CCD will be twice that which would be accepted by the camera's metering system if the EV were set to zero.

Thanks Very Much All
All i found so far is do this with EV or do that in several manuals only using the abrevioation...

I really do hate TLA's and FTLA's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom