Ethics of shooting a "diver"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well, its been a few weeks and this incident has died down, so it is safe to discuss.
My sister was visiting and we were diving on my friend's commercial boat. He had an operator (wholesale seats) who had a herd of intros and another Instructor. This operator, I will call him Grouch, had a client who was making conversation with my sister. She was chatting him up. Well, we got in the water and sister and I go our own way. We finish the dive and come back to the anchor line and run into the large group of Discover Scuba folks. The guy sees us, and swims over making the shaka sign and posing, so I snapped his picture. I was just cocking the trigger for another and---BAM, I get body slammed! Grouch has now grabbed my shoulders and starts shaking me. (I have never met him before). I turn around and face him and I did not know what to do but when I saw all the gaping Intro's , I decided to give Grouch the finger, since I had an audience. Back on the boat he started yelling "don't you ever talk to my clients again! I have to have someone guard them in the morning at the dock because everyone steals them after I have paid for my advertising!"
Well, I was stunned. Some of the captains called and wanted me to file a report (police) but I felt stupid so, I just got over it.

What are the ethics of taking a diver's picture if the operator thinks they "belong" to him? It is true that sometimes I will e-mail a picture to someone if they ask, but I do not sell pictures. Still, often, the operators are swimming around with little ..baby cameras and trying to sell CD's, so I can see the conflict.
Thoughts, Hmmm?

PS we had some wine that night and looked through my shots and howled. You could see Grouch in the background, coming in for the tackle. here's my sister but I better keep that one of Grouch offa here.

I think "Grouch" was very unprofessional!! Sounds like he is desperate to save his buisness. Might not be around much longer. If I had been the his customer he would have got an ear full from me too... Just my $.03.

Wow. Were you wearing a photos for sale sign on your hood? Physical contact like that is never excusable. If there is an issue, he should have said something on the boat. He must have seen your camera set up. If you had been advertising that you would sell pictures to the others on the boat, he could have just told you in private that it was his group and he was doing that himself. You can take pictures of whatever you want. Was Pammy in his group? :D

Yes, I can see you giving him the finger. Great visual...

Hey Catherine,

There are some people who are disturbed. You and your sister had the misfortune to run into one me thinks. Sorry.

Personally, someone who exhibits abnormal behavior underwater has no business leading around newbies. I would bet money that this person has a substantial history behind him. Finding his agency and filing a report could be a next step?

Grrrrh on this @%^head. X

well, I know he was..."disturbed" but what about taking pictures (as a non-working diver) and having people request them and start giving you their cards in front of the operator who has just taken a lot? And that brings up another issue. Should dive guides be doubling as photogs anyway?
See, I like to take pictures and give them to people. You know, share the love.

I could see the grouch being protective of his students, but only for their safety. A discover scuba class would probably be a lot like herding cats. But it seems in this case he was out only to protect his wallet.

So we end up with a guy with a bad attitude to begin with, so his inappropriate response doesn’t really surprise me, but after giving him the finger, you should of gotten the men on the boat to teach this guy a lesson.

I’m sure they would have been happy to do it for you Catherine. :)

catherine96821:
well, I know he was..."disturbed" but what about taking pictures (as a non-working diver) and having people request them and start giving you their cards in front of the operator who has just taken a lot?
Tricky question. It would have been better if this had been discussed beforehand.

catherine96821:
And that brings up another issue. Should dive guides be doubling as photogs anyway? See, I like to take pictures and give them to people. You know, share the love.
Is the DM guiding newbees or advanced divers? Or was he hired as a photographer?

catherine96821:
Should dive guides be doubling as photogs anyway?
If the world was a good place and divers didn't need to be babysat, I would say that would be ok. (It could work like the cruiselines...takes tons of pics. If the diver wants one, he can buy it or not. No pressure)

But if they have to do any type of babysitting, the camera should be put away. (Just my opinion)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom