Escrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chippy

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm looking for a little bit of feedback on using Escrow.

I'm selling my topside camera on ebay and someone wants to pay using Escrow. I usually use paypal so haven't used this methid before.

Is Escrow very safe? Any bad experiences?

It's an eBay service that is supposed to protect both buyer and seller for transactions over $500. Here's what I found on eBay....
"Escrow.com protects both buyer and seller by acting as a trusted third-party during the transaction and managing the payment process from start to finish.

Escrow is ideal for transactions over $500 because it provides added protection.

Services are provided by Escrow.com, a fully-licensed escrow provider. "

Click here------>eBay Escrow

Thanks Dee,

I also noticed on Ebay that they ONLY recommend using Escrow.com.

The buyer wanted to use a different provider (http://www.escrow-transactions.net/), but I wasn't too happy with it, as this provider had no telephone support, making it tricky if it all went wrong.

Maybe I should insist on using the .com one.

Thanks

Paul

Dont use this escrow service, they are trying something

Chippy i DONT i repeat, DONT use that site at all there have been to many scams set up to look like a legit escrow company and that company look like a rip of escrow.com. but give it a try and use the contact information below to see if hes legit. but ask him this on questions is he using a standard I2AB(first letter is a i) escrow transaction form, and if hes quick to answer yes, hes lieing because there is no such form.

example here is escrow-tranactions.net DNS entry

Registrant:
noxtech inc
917 West Washington St.
Clinton, Illinois 61727
US

Domain name: ESCROW-TRANSACTIONS.NET

Administrative Contact:
Karr, Scott klausss77@yahoo.com
917 West Washington St.
Clinton, Illinois 61727
US
Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, Domain hostmaster@doteasy.com
Suite 210 - 3602 Gilmore Way
Burnaby, BC V5G 4W9
CA
(604) 434-4307 Fax: (604) 608-6832

Registrar of Record: In2net Network Inc. dba iRegister.com
Record last updated on 07-Dec-2003.
Record expires on 07-Dec-2004.
Record Created on 7-Dec-2003.

Domain servers in listed order:
DNS1.DOTEASY.COM 209.153.212.101
DNS2.DOTEASY.COM 209.153.212.102

now there were red flags that came up under this in one that this is supposed to be a major escrow company supposedly, but they are using a hosting company, ok so i went and checked out the host, and there claim to fame was for small business and individuals, big red flag, so finally i went and checked the site and it wasnt working, thats strike 3 there out.

now heres escrow.com 's entry

scrow.com Back-order this name

Registrant:
escrow.com, inc (ESCROW16-DOM)
16275 Laguna Canyon Road
Suite 160
Irvine, CA 92618
US

Domain Name: ESCROW.COM

Administrative Contact:
escrow.com, inc (22503478O) ablack@ESCROW.COM
16275 Laguna Canyon Road
Suite 160
Irvine, CA 92618
US
1 949 790 5890 fax: 1 949 790 5801

Technical Contact:
Whitlow, Jason (JW25672) jwhitlow@escrow.com
Jason Whitlow
1221 East Dyer
Santa Ana, CA 92705
US
714 384 3456 fax: 714 751 3267

Record expires on 16-Nov-2010.
Record created on 23-Aug-1994.
Database last updated on 10-Jan-2004 12: 58 :55 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.ESCROW.COM 206.194.69.100
NS2.ESCROW.COM 206.194.69.101
NS3.ESCROW.COM 206.194.69.102

in verybigg stark contrast to the other one in that they are the registrant of the site, own/operator the domain there site is on and even have the name servers, and that the site comes up very quick and with out a hassle, and i know escrow.com is legit because i have used them before.

well if you need any help post it first before doing something.

oh just on last question did you happen to put this on a ebay auction and this guy contact you via regualr email or through ebay ?

Tooth

Tooth your a star.

Therefore, I can safely assume that if the guy in question wants to pay buy Escrow and is genuine he won't have any problem with using an Escrow agent of MY choice??!! Maybe that's the best way to approach the deal?

At the end of the day i've got a 100% feedback record on ebay, so I have nothing to hide and certainly won't rip anyone off, so I've got no problem using Escrow whatsoever - providing it's safe.

Funnily enough - this guy circumvented Ebay and email me privately, whatsmore I had told him that he must bid on the item on ebay, otherwise I'm obliged to sell to the highest bidder - so far he hasn't placed a bid - another warning sign?

His manner in the corresponding emails does sound like he may be foreign (no offence anyone), so he may not understand what I'm trying to explain - not that i'm trying to make excuses for the guy.

Tooth - if you want me to CC you the email with the whole conversation in it, you'll know what I mean.

Wow! If it matters, I just found the Escrow link I listed on Google. I never thought of the rip-off aspect! Sorry Chippy!

That's ok Dee, alarms bells came to mind this morning the more that I though about the situation, which was reason for the original post - you can't be too careful these days unfortunately.

I think the *biggest* red flag is the "Record Created on 7-Dec-2003" line. That means that the "escrow company" has only existed for, oh, around a month. That is assuming, of course, that any company actually exists (which it surely doesn't). Look at the same line for escrow.com - created 1994.

chippy

one if the guy is trying to circumvent ebay to buy it, you need to report this especially for items of this value. trust me i used to sell on ebay alot and have had most of the scams attempt(even the famous western union scam, which i didnt fall for at all), nad everytime i turned them into ebay and even went as far as to call the police in the persons hometown if i could track them down, (hmm maybe we could get some scubaboard members to track this person down), also what email did this guy use to contact you?

Dee
dont feel bad about that because its pretty common, i think MSN ran a whole series on escrow scams a couple months back, let me find it for you and i will post it

jonnythan
i didnt even catch that in my posting of the info the date record created. but that would have added to the red flag list

chippy post that ebay auction link please, thanks

Tooth

It's always amazing to me what you 'puter guru's can find out!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom