escape and ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badgers

Contributor
Reaction score
this may seem silly but I am new to diving.
I am between the Zeagle ranger and Zeagle escape.
I am leaning to the escape because I am more of a sport diver in warm vacation type places. but does the escape mean that I can't use a 7MM wet suit if I want to dive around here for a certification dive?(I may get advanced open water, rescue diver.. and I live in madison, wi)

If I was to go with the ranger would the Dacor Rig III be better?

I just signed up so if you have links to some past discusions I would apprecaite them.

is the lack of trim pockets on the ranger a big disadvantage? I was told that trim pockets on the escape are a great perk.

how much would it cost to add trim pockets(non ditchable back weight) to a ranger? (is it possible?)

thank you for your time and have a good day

I also had a tough time deciding between the Ranger and the Escape. I survey A LOT of people asking them which BC they recommended. I am also a warm water sport diver. I was hoping to get a response that said go with the Ranger over the Escape but never did.

I did rent the Escape and took it on a trip to Roatan, Honduras. I really liked the Escape with the exception of air trapping. The bladder is shaped like a U, so air traps to one side. Their is a trick to dumping air which involves dipping your left shoulder. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to love the Escape but ended up buying the Sherwood Freedom. I'll be diving next month with it in the Bahamas for the first time.

Outside of the air trapping I felt it was a great BC!

thanks for the input.
How much air trapping is there?

is the air trapped when you are head down and use the right hand side air dump?

The "escape" has bulky side saddles and a cumberbun. Check out the SCOUT. It is single tank, back inflated, weight pockets and is secured with a belt. Costs much less. Easy to pack. Has 35 pounds buoyancy. Capable with or without a wetsuit.

Hi Badger,

I dive a Ranger and like it a lot but to be honest I am looking into a Scout for my travel BC. The Ranger is just more BC then I need on a warm water vacation. It weighs a lot and takes up a lot of room in my suitcase.

You can easily add rear trim pockets to the Ranger without any modification to the BC. I added one to each side of the tank, seems like they were around $15 each. Any of the Zeagle BC's are adjustable enough to go from a thick wetsuit to a t-shirt as long as you get a size that's correct for you.

Get the ranger... you will not regret it! It is bulky to travel with but it has a great track record and is made by a dependable manufacturer.......

:jester:

I can buy a Rig2 for the same price as a Zeagle escape.

It is my understanding that the Ranger does not have the trim weight pockets and does not have the lumbar support.

it seems the ranger is less comfortable then the escape, am I missing something?
Can I buy a lumbar support and add it to the ranger? where would I get such a thing?

the Dacor Rig3 and Ranger are the same price for me.

thank you all for your time and input.

Zeagle sells a lumber pad... I guess thats a support... the escape has rear trim weight pockets next to the tank and they can be added to the ranger...Buy the new ranger limited edition and you get all of this stuff.. I have never dove a rig2 but I love my ranger!!! Great piece of equipment!

I have the lumbar support for my Zeagle Ranger. And in my opinion, it doesn't do that much to add comfort....just bulk. IMHO, this accessory is not worth the cost.

I have recently upgraded to the OMS Backplate and Wings setup. And am experiencing what many BP/Wings users expound on....that the system now feels as if it is truly bolted to my body. Very comfortable.

Also BP/Wings will pack very well, and they are the best investment in BC's as they work wonderfully for recreational diving, and are "required" when you get into the tekkie stuff.

thank you everyone I ordered the Zeagle Escape.
The ranger was more money for add ons that I don't think I will need

I got it for 280 bucks at unrealfind.com

PS which forum would I ask a nitrox calc question?

Back
Top Bottom