Error on Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call me crazy, but I prefer diving over sitting on a boat. They are great computers - in guage mode.

Yes, in some circumstances, you may get to stay in the water for a few more minutes while others are returning to the boat. I suppose you have a big tank and great air consumption, too. But if your dive buddy has a Suunto or other conservative computer or simply chooses to dive conservatively, or has poor air consumption or a smaller tank, then you will be joining your buddy back to the boat. If it's a DM-led dive, and the DM has a Suunto, you may be joining the group on the return to the boat as well, or at least not being allowed to linger behind TOO long. On non-DM-led dives, I've had DMs admonish us to be back on the boat "within one hour." I also tend to dive with operators who provide generous surface intervals, because I like the conservatism, and the Suunto gives a lot of weight to long surface intervals. I admit that a Suunto's conservatism could cause consternation for some divers under some circumstances, and maybe your personality and diving style fit those circumstances, but there are plenty of happy divers who have never given a second thought to the conservatism of their Suuntos. Your opinion has been noted, as has mine.

One of two computers is a Zoop. After a couple hundred divss I have never had it lock me out. But then I clear the computer before coming to the surface. Other computers is a an Aeris. Yet to put it into deco.

I did read the manual as well as watching the videos and I understand that I violated the deco algorithm. I am a relatively new diver, always dive with a professional guide and have never experienced that problem before. You are all correct in saying I should have noticed it but since I was diving with others much more experienced that I, I assumed that most dive computers allow similar dive profiles. My question is really: Does the Zoop have a more conservative algorithm than most other dive computers? And why the 48 hour lock out and not just 24? thanks

I did read the manual as well as watching the videos and I understand that I violated the deco algorithm. I am a relatively new diver, always dive with a professional guide and have never experienced that problem before. You are all correct in saying I should have noticed it but since I was diving with others much more experienced that I

It is your life, ability to walk, speak etc. Take responsibility, you have to live with the consequences.

You may find that the 'experienced' have dived enough to be complacent but not enough to see stuff go wrong. Diving is remarkably safe for something which removes the most important life supporting stuff to tens of metres away. This means that people often get away with stuff which in a big enough population will lead to death or injury.

It is hard to compare dive computers. It may be everyone else was diving some less conservative computer, or maybe you have yours set to be extra conservative. Perhaps you were last out on a previous dive and first in on this one, went deeper longer, were using air rather than nitrox etc etc.

I did read the manual as well as watching the videos and I understand that I violated the deco algorithm. I am a relatively new diver, always dive with a professional guide and have never experienced that problem before. You are all correct in saying I should have noticed it but since I was diving with others much more experienced that I, I assumed that most dive computers allow similar dive profiles. My question is really: Does the Zoop have a more conservative algorithm than most other dive computers? And why the 48 hour lock out and not just 24? thanks

Okay, understood. You know what they say about when one "assumes"? :wink: No, not all dive computers allow similar dive profiles. How conservative a computer is relative to another one can only be gauged roughly. It's possible to run some tests to attempt to categorize them along a spectrum of conservative to liberal, but the problem is that different computers place different amounts of weight on different things, so anything but a square profile is hard to compare. What things deserve more weight than others in the decision of how much no-deco time is safe is in the judgment of the scientists/engineers who developed the computer, and they don't agree with each other. I have read Suunto literature saying they give weight to at least four things.

1) Suunto gives weight to so-called "reverse profiles": Suunto seems to believe that to maximize your no-deco time you should not dive deeper on a subsequent dive than you did on the previous dive. This theory has been discredited to a great extent, but some "bubble model" advocates may still think it has merit in the context of bubble models. Suunto uses a sort of scaled-down bubble model called "Suunto RGBM."
2) Suunto also gives a lot of weight to surface interval between repetitive dives. It generally gives plenty of no-deco time on the first dive of your day--perhaps even more than some other computers. But if your first dive was deep, and you don't take a nice long surface interval--say, 1-1.5 hours--before your second dive, the Suunto may give you significantly less bottom time than another computer. And between the second and third dives of the day, and so on--perhaps progressively more so. In one piece of literature, Suunto phrases it as "closely spaced repetitive dives." The thinking may be (this is just my speculation) that if you never have a surface interval long enough to diminish the microbubbles, then they will get progressively larger with each successive dive. In Cozumel, we typically take a 1.5-hour surface interval between the first and second dives, and I have not had my Suunto force me to surface before anyone else.
3) Another thing the Suunto gives a lot of weight to is ascent speed. Keep your ascent speed within what the display indicates is proper.
4) Lastly, Suunto may give more weight to multiday diving than some other computers. If you're on vacation for a week, doing some extra long surface intervals or even taking a half a day off in the middle of your vacation seems to work well. My wife and I look forward to taking an afternoon off from diving and doing something else, like drinking margaritas.

If you see your no-deco time down in the single digits and approaching zero, don't ignore it. Often, if you slowly ascend just 10 feet or so, the computer substantially adds to your no-deco time. You (and your buddy) don't have to rigidly follow the rest of the group.

I don't think anyone but Suunto can answer for sure why they chose to discourage you from diving for 48 hours after an error rather than 24 hours or 36 hours or whatever. Maybe those Finns are sticklers for following rules, and if you break the rules it is your own fault and shouldn't complain. Who knows.

Thanks, that makes sense. It is just odd that no one else's computer gave them a problem. To my knowledge there is no "conservative setting" on my zoop. We had the same interval time but must have gone a little deeper and come up a little quicker than the others

Okay, understood. You know what they say about when one "assumes"? :wink: No, not all dive computers allow similar dive profiles. How conservative a computer is relative to another one can only be gauged roughly. It's possible to run some tests to attempt to categorize them along a spectrum of conservative to liberal, but the problem is that different computers place different amounts of weight on different things, so anything but a square profile is hard to compare. What things deserve more weight than others in the decision of how much no-deco time is safe is in the judgment of the scientists/engineers who developed the computer, and they don't agree with each other. I have read Suunto literature saying they give weight to at least four things.

1) Suunto gives weight to so-called "reverse profiles": Suunto seems to believe that to maximize your no-deco time you should not dive deeper on a subsequent dive than you did on the previous dive. This theory has been discredited to a great extent, but some "bubble model" advocates may still think it has merit in the context of bubble models. Suunto uses a sort of scaled-down bubble model called "Suunto RGBM."
2) Suunto also gives a lot of weight to surface interval between repetitive dives. It generally gives plenty of no-deco time on the first dive of your day--perhaps even more than some other computers. But if your first dive was deep, and you don't take a nice long surface interval--say, 1-1.5 hours--before your second dive, the Suunto may give you significantly less bottom time than another computer. And between the second and third dives of the day, and so on--perhaps progressively more so. In one piece of literature, Suunto phrases it as "closely spaced repetitive dives." The thinking may be (this is just my speculation) that if you never have a surface interval long enough to diminish the microbubbles, then they will get progressively larger with each successive dive. In Cozumel, we typically take a 1.5-hour surface interval between the first and second dives, and I have not had my Suunto force me to surface before anyone else.
3) Another thing the Suunto gives a lot of weight to is ascent speed. Keep your ascent speed within what the display indicates is proper.
4) Lastly, Suunto may give more weight to multiday diving than some other computers. If you're on vacation for a week, doing some extra long surface intervals or even taking a half a day off in the middle of your vacation seems to work well. My wife and I look forward to taking an afternoon off from diving and doing something else, like drinking margaritas.

If you see your no-deco time down in the single digits and approaching zero, don't ignore it. Often, if you slowly ascend just 10 feet or so, the computer substantially adds to your no-deco time. You (and your buddy) don't have to rigidly follow the rest of the group.

I don't think anyone but Suunto can answer for sure why they chose to discourage you from diving for 48 hours after an error rather than 24 hours or 36 hours or whatever. Maybe those Finns are sticklers for following rules, and if you break the rules it is your own fault and shouldn't complain. Who knows.

To my knowledge there is no "conservative setting" on my zoop. the others

To my knowledge there is. Search the manual for personal settings P0, P1 and P2. Those are your conservatism settings.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Back
Top Bottom