Error on Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NM Steve

New
Reaction score
Both my wife and I have had a Zoop computer since we began diving (40 dives) and have had no problems. We were in Fiji diving the same profile as the rest of the group and both got and ER message on the computer and that locks up the computer for 48 hours. Right before mine locked up I noticed my no deco time went to zero, that was at about 35 feet. We dove no deeper than 90 feet an had come up slowly with the group. We were with the same group throughout that dive as well as the previous dives and no one else had a problem. Any ideas what happened? It was concerning enough that we took the next day off diving, but no way could I miss 2 days so the 2nd day had to dive with the computer being locked up. No bueno. I Would like to hear if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks!

(After reading the manual) you need to either monitor and follow what your computer is telling you, or get a new computer with an algorithm that will allow you to "follow the group" and have others determine your profile.

. . .Right before mine locked up I noticed my no deco time went to zero, . . . Any ideas what happened? . . . .

What happened is that you allowed your no-deco time to go to zero, and you failed to properly follow the ascent instructions that appeared on the screen when that happened. The display instructed you to stop and wait at a certain depth for a few minutes as a safety precaution. The Zoop will lock up for 48 hours if you fail to follow those instructions, to discourage you from diving until your body has recovered from what the Zoop (rightly or wrongly) deemed an unsafe ascent.

Whenever you have a new computer, read the manual before diving with it and learn how to use it. You bought the computer with the objective of using the information it provides to help keep yourself safe. It won't be able to help you if you don't use it in the way it was intended.

Don't you look at the computer during the dive? If so you should have noticed your no deco time running down and the computer suggesting that you ascend a bit, or later that you extend your stops on the way up. You didn't just suddenly get a lockout hours after the fact. If you aren't going to monitor your computer display why even buy or wear a computer?

You bought and overly conservative computer. Some would go so far to say they are useless.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...computers-so-conservative-theyre-useless.html

I wouldn't say that.....But I'd never own one.

My wife & I have been using Gekkos (same as Zoop) for 10 years. Never had any issues or cutting dives short. If no dec. time is exceeded we just make sure to have enough air in tank to clear any deco obligations.
They are a good solid/ reliable computer. Also while traveling (Indonesia, Phillippines, ect) I have noticed that the majority of the dive guides are using the same computer.
We are diving 4 - 5 dives per day (5- 6 hours bottom time) over 10 - 12 days, no issues

You bought and overly conservative computer. Some would go so far to say they are useless.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...computers-so-conservative-theyre-useless.html

I wouldn't say that.....But I'd never own one.

Oh stop. That horse has been beaten to death, not just in the thread you linked to but other similar threads over the years.

Yes, it is a conservative computer, but it's an extremely popular one that is used successfully--without people getting locked out for 48 hours--all over the world by thousands of happy divers. No matter how liberal a computer is--no matter how generous the no-deco time it computes for you--there will always be some diver who thinks it is still not enough and that a computer could have given him still more no-deco time without him having gotten bent. But of course there is no way to know for sure.

Call me crazy, but I prefer diving over sitting on a boat. They are great computers - in guage mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom