erparamedic is on notice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another interesting side to that is whether the DIR diver had fun... would he still be DIR if he had fun?

This seems to be another common misconception regarding those of us who sit one the DIR side of the fence. Just because we prefer a systematic approach to our diving doesn't preclude us having fun doing it.

What it DOES do is allow us to reduce the number of "Oh ****!" moments by planning our dive and approaching it as a true team sport. In some respects I think we may enjoy our dives more because our buddy is always right there with us, we are always on the same page and we are able to share the cool things on a dive together instead of having this conversation afterwards:

"Did you see that turtle?"
"No, is THAT what you were trying to point out? Did you see that lionfish?"
"What lionfish?"
"The one you almost knelt on."
"Oh, no I guess not. But wasn't that barrel sponge cool?"
"Barrel sponge??" :confused:

Please NOTE:I am in no way implying that there are not plenty of other divers out there that have good skills, buddy awareness, dive planning or equipment configuration. I'm simply saying there are some of us that choose to dive that way all the time and we have fun doing it.

[/soapbox]

Now, back to your regularly scheduled dorkdom.

This seems to be another common misconception regarding those of us who sit one the DIR side of the fence. Just because we prefer a systematic approach to our diving doesn't preclude us having fun doing it.

What it DOES do is allow us to reduce the number of "Oh ****!" moments by planning our dive and approaching it as a true team sport. In some respects I think we may enjoy our dives more because our buddy is always right there with us, we are always on the same page and we are able to share the cool things on a dive together instead of having this conversation afterwards:

"Did you see that turtle?"
"No, is THAT what you were trying to point out? Did you see that lionfish?"
"What lionfish?"
"The one you almost knelt on."
"Oh, no I guess not. But wasn't that barrel sponge cool?"
"Barrel sponge??" :confused:

Please NOTE:I am in no way implying that there are not plenty of other divers out there that have good skills, buddy awareness, dive planning or equipment configuration. I'm simply saying there are some of us that choose to dive that way all the time and we have fun doing it.

[/soapbox]

Now, back to your regularly scheduled dorkdom.

Hi Cave Diver! I know you guys have fun... and the Kool-aide looks tasty!

I should note that another hallmark of the dork is that we allow DIR divers to post in our forums without moderating them for their views, LOL! :wink:

Eh.. I've never been a big fan of Kool-aide. BUT I am a big fan of "If it ain't fun, don't do it!" :crafty:

I should note that another hallmark of the dork is that we allow DIR divers to post in our forums without moderating them for their views, LOL! :wink:

ALLOW????:no

Ok... this simply must be the last DIR vs Rec post... LOL

As I see it.... Who really cares! LMAO! I mean, here's what counts...

1. You're equipment is safe.
2. You have good buddy skills.
3. You come back alive.
4. You have fun.

Pretty much everything falls into one of those categories, and, by the way, those categories are in no particular order. It's just an overall observation. :wink:

That said.... I've seen soooooo many mantas in our local quarry! :rofl3: :rofl: : :rofl3: (That damn turtle sign! How long till it's engrained in my head? LOLOLOL!!)

Ok... this simply must be the last DIR vs Rec post... LOL

As I see it.... Who really cares! LMAO! I mean, here's what counts...

1. You're equipment is safe.
2. You have good buddy skills.
3. You come back alive.
4. You have fun.

Pretty much everything falls into one of those categories, and, by the way, those categories are in no particular order. It's just an overall observation. :wink:

That said.... I've seen soooooo many mantas in our local quarry! : (That damn turtle sign! How long till it's engrained in my head? LOLOLOL!!)

Yeh... my bad... contrary to what cavediver said... I DID miss your turtle sign!! :rofl3:

(need to get you a brighter light!) :D

Back
Top Bottom