Equipment to buy next.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I am recently OW, and have my mask and snorkel. The next items I am looking to buy are a cheap but good dive watch. Is it possible to get something that works for less than $100. Any recommendations? I am also going to get a mid sized stub nose titanium knife, which I hope to get for less than $100. Any recommendations, and where to wear it. And last I would like to get a spare mask to carry. Do they make small masks specificaly as a backup that is easy to carry? Thanks for any replies.

I know the fins are 4th on my list.

Masks have the buckle system mounted in different places... Ones with the buckle system attached to the silicone rather than the frame fold up smaller.

Welcome to SB "Certifiable"! Also welcome to the wonderful world of diving! First of all if it helps I would just buy a cheap yet water proof watch. $30-$50 tops because chances are you will loose or crush it before you learn to keep it safe. I wish some one had told me that! Get your fins before the knife or spare mask. When you have them get the knife again I have bought 3 knives and my favorite is a $30 stainless steel knife that I wear on my right lower leg. I have purchased a smaller knife that I have tried to wear on my BC or lower left arm. One key element in knife choice is SS or titainium. The latter is a lot harder to sharpen and the SS is pretty easy. If you happen to loose it, break it prying, or misplace it, no big deal! There are endless threads on knife choices just do a little research here at SB and I am sure you will have good luck.
Spare masks as well have been spoken of here, my personal favorite is a framless mask that folds very flat and fits into a small pocket or pouch. But remember to prioritize your purchases and make sure you are comfortable with your rigging and new items added to your dive gear. It is never a bad idea to train and practice with new gear before hitting OW. I hope I have been a help if I can be of further assistance please just PM me. The best advice I could give you is to practice skills and dive as much as you can. Be patient making gear purchases. Good luck, CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Search the net for watches. I wear a St Moritz watch. I have their top of the line but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend the entry level watch which you should be able to get for $100 or less, check amazon.com and scubatoys.com

As for a knife, no idea. Don't carry one, and not sure when I would need one. Get your fins next.

We've always recommended Casio watches to our cash-strapped college student divers. This one will get the job done and will do it for many years. Be advised that changing a battery means any watch should be pressure tested before diving with it, that can be an expensive proposition. I've had the battery on my Casio last about 8 years, by that time I just bought a new watch instead of changing the battery. Keep the face of the watch simple, you want large numbers rather than a bunch of doo-hickeys (like temperature gauges and compasses) to make the watch easy to read underwater.

Instead of a knife consider getting a pair of EMT shears with holster. They will cut through a lot of things a knife won't, steel fishing leader being the first to come to mind.
Ber :lilbunny:

I skipped the dive watch and went straight for a computer. I got an Oceanic Atom 2.0... Wonderful computer. I only have one mask, but I have plans to put together a save-a-dive kit with extra straps etc. I bought a titanium blunt tip knife. It's pretty much no maintenance. I wear it on the inside of my left leg to keep it from getting caught on anything. I also have a backup line cutter that I wear on my bcd strap. This is nice for trips where knives aren't allowed.

Thanks for all the info. I do like the casio wathces and the knifes that were recommended. I am going to at the very least get the watch before my florida trip. I am also going to check out the frameless masks. Thanks again.

Use craiglist for everything BUT
a suit (wet or dry)
regulator
dive computer

I left some space.. some folk buy BCD's new, with the opportunity of testing and removable weight devices, i'd probably get this second hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom