Equipment Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The wife and I have begun to get an accumulation of scuba gear but have little place to store it. At first it sat in the corner as it was just a few items then it moved to a shelf in the Linen closet. Soon the self filled up. As we got the BCD's another shelf was cleared off and they were added them to the collection. I'm running out of shelves and have still a fair amount more to get (including Drysuits!).

I have now decided to turn to the more experienced and fully equipped for some guidance. I want to buy a storage system that will be able to handle 2 full sets of gear but I am kind of lost as to How much room I am going to require to hang 2 drysuits, shelve 2 BP/W systems, possibly contain 4 tanks, SMB, Weight belts, Spools and other Nikk-Knacks that we are sure to acquire as we progress.

We have been looking at simply getting an Ikea stand alone closet but I have my doubts that those will handle the weight or the moisture that will get inside as we would like to dry the suits inside the closet in order to add function to the system (with doors open and a drip pan below) also because we have no good place to hang 2 suits right now either.

I am hoping that I can get some ideas as to what has worked for others and products that have been used so I can piece together a system that will work for us without the frustrating trial and error phase.

I don't have a garage so unfortunately that is not an option for me :depressed:

You've identified most of the big problems: moisture, weight and volume.

Metro wire shelving like you will find in many restaurants has worked best for me. It can take the water and the weight better than wood/particle board/OSB and it is easy to reconfigure as needed. It's open so air can circulate and minimize the mung factor. Skip the fancy coatings and get stainless/chrome for maximum durability.

I've got a couple of units. One is just a set of four shelves and the other is two shelves, top and bottom, with a metal closet bar suspended from the upper shelf to hang stuff on. Most of the small bits go into bins on the shelves. Additionally, there are the "Tubs of Shame" for storage of semi-retired items and a few 1640 Pelican boxes for transport/storage piled up to one side. Tanks stand on the floor, chained to a secure wall.

How much space you will need is another question - as wetsuits shrink every year, the space required to store them in expands. Can't help you much with that but I can tell you that in the days when I lived in the city and didn't have a garage to surrender to the junior dive shop I used to rent an offsite climate controlled storage room. 100 s.f. was comfortable but not overly generous. These days, with the addition of a fill station and workbench, fuggedabowdit.

Closet_Animation.gif

I use the same type system as reefraff. Got it at Sam's club last year for 99 bucks. Holds most of my softgear. I have it set up in my home office. Tanks are still out but in the bedroom. Sometimes my office or like now- in the kitchen! You just need to prioritize. Get rid of any extras clothes, shoes, food, etc. I mean it is dive gear so make room where you can. Be proud of your new obsession. Have friends for dinner or coffee? Just make em shove the regs to the side for a few minutes til they get done eating. Stuff like hoods, gloves, and other soft stuff that may be on the couch they can just sit on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom