Equipment Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello ScubaBoard! Looks like a great place to talk about one of my favorite things in the whole world to do! I have a question to start off with; I am looking at getting some basic gear, but haven't shopped for any for close to 10 years. I've been certified for about that long, but have very few dives actually logged (13 or so I think). My wife is just now getting certified. We both want to have at least some basic gear, but not sure what we should be looking for. I've not shopped around for a long time and have always rented my gear since moving back to the US from Australia. My wife has never had any.

So, any recommendations, general or specific would be appreciated very much.

thank you!

-daniel

Some things never change: fit, not brand name, remains the primary criterion when choosing fins and a mask.

In the case of fins, make sure you try them on in the store and out in the water before you dive with them. Foot pockets are three-dimensional, so make sure they accommodate your feet comfortably in terms of length, width and height, with socks or booties on if you're not planning to wear them over bare feet in warmer waters. Too tight and they will cause cramp. Too loose and they will rub, generating blisters, or fall off. Only then take personal preferences into account. You say you have dived with rented equipment. Your experience will guide you when it comes to deciding what you like and what you don't like. Fins, like shoes, are very personal items of gear. Don't be bullied into purchasing the latest fashion, or a pair that doesn't suit your swimming stroke, just because other people think they're the best in the world. They will be the best in the world for other people, not necessarily for you. You have your own voyage of discovery to complete before you find the perfect fins for you. Fins are there to give you power, endurance and manoeuvrability, although no model will give you those benefits in equal proportion.

As for masks, check them out for fit in the store as well. Press the mask skirt against your face and breathe in through your nose to create a partial vacuum. Does the mask stay in place? If so, it's a good fit. If not, discard it immediately, however fancy the brand name is.

If you're getting a snorkel, a simple "J" type without valves is probably best, because there's less to go wrong.

Notice that I haven't recommended any brand names at all when giving you advice about basic gear selection. I hope that will help you focus on fit and performance rather than fashion.

David Wilson gave you some greate tips but as for brands and models i guess it all comes down to your budget as well

when you say basic gear, how basic??
Are you asking about a mask, snorkel, and fin package, or are you inquiring about a Regulator/BC package.

I personnally would stay away from prepackaged stuff, as the kits will normally be from a single manufacture and you may like some of it, other pieces you'll hate and whatever you saved will be wasted as you'll be buying replacement. Talk to the shop your are planning on buying from, the better ones will cut you the same deal if you buy all the parts of the kit, not to mention getting 2 sets of gear. For example my current kit includes; a cheap snorkel, Pinnacle boots, a Mares Mask, and ForceFins. But of course, its rare that you'll find that kind of selection except online. which is one more reason I use Scuba.com, since they are affordable and knowledgable, not to mention they support this site, they are very quick, and they are authorized retailers on everything they sell. The only drawback that I know of is that I can't try things on before I buy, but then again, they have a very good return policy.

although, I use these brands they may not fit you as well as they fit me, so you'll need to find the best things for you

Good advice... go for fit and performance, not brand; got it! :) As far as budget goes, I'm thinking $300 or less for each set? Am I on target there at all to get some descent stuff? Oh, and yes, that would just be mask, snorkel and fins... maybe boots too. BC and reg can come later I think. the local shop seems great and since we'll be buying 2 kits plus one cert. class, maybe we'll get a bit of a deal?

You should be able to obtain some reasonable fins, mask and snorkel within your price range, Daniel. As your first purchase, these items will undoubtedly turn out to have their downside as well as their advantages. That's the learning curve, the voyage of discovery that you have to make and that nobody can do for you. For what it's worth, I'm still content to snorkel with the kind of gear I used when I started back in the 1960s. Over the years I've found a few pairs of fins that fit me perfectly and suit the gentle snorkelling I enjoy. Ditto for the mask and snorkel. As I've emphasised above, that doesn't mean the fins, mask and snorkel I wear will automatically work for you too. See what your dive store can do for you. If they listen when you tell them what you want and do their utmost to find items that fit you and accomodate your physique and style, then they are serving you well and deserve your custom.

Just a tip for the mask
Whatever you do dont buy a mask with a clear skirt
Have a look at this forum. You will find discussions about clear vs black skirt masks
I agree with the majority tha vote against clear skirts

Cressi sub makes some great masks
I just had a look at scuba.com that meesier42 mentioned above and i saw that his got the cressi sub Big Eyes for $26.95
I own a cressi sub Big Eyes for about 3 years now and i am more than happy with it. Nice fit with superb visibility (especially downwards) with that price (if of cours it fits you) you cant go wrong :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom