Equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle Ranger is a good BC. Make sure you know how to ditch the weights if you use the integrated system. Just be aware that if you pull the release cord, there is no putting the weights back.

Zeagle Ranger is a good BC. Make sure you know how to ditch the weights if you use the integrated system. Just be aware that if you pull the release cord, there is no putting the weights back.

I dive the smaller version of the Ranger called the Stiletto. Slightly less lift but at 38 lbs not lacking much either, but is overall lighter and better travel BC.

The pockets are little awkward but I only put things in that don't think I need during dive like my car keys. I will put in a flashlight if I want to bring along for dive but may not need. If definitely using the light then prefer to clip to BC rather than put in pocket.

Zeagle has this great feature were you can hook up your garden hose to the inflator hose and flush the BC, make care and maintenence easy. The weights can be replaced but rethreading the ripcord is a pain. Some divers love the feature, others hate it. More of a personal choice.

As for mixing and matching BC and regs, you only have to if you like both brands. There is no unwritten scuba code says all your equipment has to match. More of an LDS sales pitch, but that is a subject of another thread.:wink:

I agree with most of the replies on this post so far. Mixing and matching is great except for first and second stages (simply for servicing purposes.) Choosing the right reg is a very important decision to make seeing as it is what you breathe out of and I assume you like to breathe. The top two brands that seem to have the best reputation are Atomic and ScubaPro. Usually the decision on which one of these two depends on your LDC and which one they service. Where I live, its either one or the other. I have used both and am extremely happen with each. But the LDC I use only services Atomic, so thats what I went with. I believe the Atomic reg is a bit easier to service just because there is an extra piston in the ScubaPro that adds a little time and cost (but thats just what I hear, I dont do any servicing myself.) As far as BCs, its whatever feels comfortable to YOU and YOU only. What kind of diving will you be doing, have you used a backfloat before, have you tried a BP/W? In my opinion this is the second most important piece of gear to purchase. Zeagle has a great reputation, but there are lots of different brands that excel in this area. I personally use a Zeagle Escape. It is a little smaller and more streamline than the Ranger with works out will with being trim underwater and I travel easily with it as well. Unfortunately, they quit making this model. If I were to buy another BC, it would be a Hollis BP/W (that day will come, but probably not for another year.) I have been diving for only about a year and half and have learned not to just to buy a bunch of gear at once, but to be patient, try stuff out, and only buy the best you can afford when you are sure thats what you want. Don't skimp on what you buy, scuba diving is a stuff sport and you get what you pay for. Hope this helps and welcome to the dive community!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom