Equipment purchase priority-BCD or Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi cod, for my own 2 cents worth i would get a reg. first. i always make sure i have my own reg, mask and snorkle but dont mind renting a bc. your bouancy shouldnt be that much different but i like my own reg. I know what kind of shape its in and that i dont have to have any worrys about my next breath
barkeep

If you want a backplate and wing, then do research on which to get and buy that first because a lot of shops only rent non-bp/w BCDs. For warm water travel, check out DSS kydex plate with their tropical travel wing (+ I prefer hog harness), or Oxycheq ultra lite travel plate with their Mach V Razor 18 (if still available), or Mach V 30 if you want more lift (for cold water).

So, I've been diving for about a year, and am gradually getting my own gear, but can usually only afford one major item at a time. The two major items I have left are a bc and reg. Any opinion on which is more important to own?

I wonder if having a bcd I'm familiar with will help improve buoyancy and take the guesswork out of how much weight I need every time I dive (and weight check delays), but the reg is perhaps the more important piece of "life-support" so I'm torn...

Any insights would be appreciated!

IMHO a good reg is the most important thing in you dive bag. I use TX 100's (apeks) and G250's with mk 20's Shop look around and be patient. You'll find a sale. Ask questions. A great reg will breath easier the deeper you go. Good luck:wink:

IMHO a good reg is the most important thing in you dive bag. I use TX 100's (apeks) and G250's with mk 20's Shop look around and be patient. You'll find a sale. Ask questions. A great reg will breath easier the deeper you go. Good luck:wink:

Ironically, I have been diving a G250 and just bought a TX 200.

My vote would be the reg...but look for a great deal on a very good one... otherwise, get the BC (easier to find a deal on one)

Gosh, thanks for all the input!

Well, the consensus seems to be to go with a reg first. Interestingly, this was not the way I had been leaning, I suppose because I've never had a rental reg that bothered me. On the other hand, it would only take one bad one to ruin a day of diving or worse.

Hi Damelfish. The service issue I was referring to was based on something I read recently in one of the dive magazines I get (can't remember which one), that implied that regs that get used every day tend to work better and have less problems with corrosion, etc. than ones that don't. This made me think rental regs might actually be in better shape, but it sounds like several of you think rental regs take a beating and are often in poor shape.

Anyway, I don't get to dive nearly as often as I like (local diving is cold with murky green water and few fish and not possible much of the year anyway), so this does necessitate flying to tropical locations. I'm not really willing to skip a trip to buy my own gear because I only manage a handful of dive vacations a year and giving up one would really cut down on my diving. The expense of these trips is partly why I have to budget and gradually purchase gear. (As a plus, I HAVE gotten a better feel for what I like and don't).

Scubaskipper, thanks for the tip on Aqualung maintanence. I used an Aqualung Calypso in Australia, and it was probably the reg I liked the best of the few I've used (Zeagle, something I don't recall, and Scubapro). Anyone have experience (good or bad) with that one?

Thanks!

I'd go regs if I had to choose between the two but go both at once if you can. It makes it a lot easier with inflator hoses etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom