equipment maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I get my regs service every year. I admit if I don't dive in a year they get skipped that year. Considering the age of my equipment I'll keep up this interval. With all the new stuff comming out is it more sturdy to last more than one year or is the interval the same. Also on BC's how often do they need to be serviced and what gets serviced/replaced when it is done.

thanks

Tom

IMO, annual service is still a good idea.

If you buy new gear from a dealer, you have to get it serviced once a year (whether you use it or not) to keep the warranty. Whether it can last longer than that...I wouldn't count on it. One major thing that gets changed during servicing are the o-rings (first and second stages) plus a bunch of little parts that I really don't have names for. (As you can see...I am NOT a repair tech) But, I do know the o-rings can weaken and deteriorate over time...whether they ever get used or not. So, its still a very good idea to have them checked.

As for the BC, I think the main thing that is serviced is the inflator system. But, most shops check the bladder (seams and such) to make sure there is no leaking.

It isn't the lack of use that protects the BC but how it is used and maintained and also how it is stored.I know people who store their BC's straight after a sea dive and don't wash the bladder out.Scubabunny is right about the O'rings.
They need to be 'hydrated' so to speak otherwise they shrink and dry out and crack.That's why a silocone grease is good for maintaining the O'ring.Anything you try to do yourself could void the warranty so check with the place where your gear was brought from and ask them what is required warranty wise.That way you may end up saving yourself some bucks.Also store them inflated and out of the sun on a thick hanger,not a thin one.Well maintained a good BC will last more than 10 years depending on its use,though most people want new stuff before then.
Cheers Ears,
Greg

Tom, nobody here is going to advise you to service your equipment less often than once a year; well, almost no one. You didn't say what kind of equipment or its age. Fresh or salt water? Ice diving? Commercial oyster diver or rec diver? It's like an auto, mileage counts.

For the average diver who does 10-20 dives a year, and if the equipment is fairly new, service intervals of 2-3 years should be OK. There really is nothing to wear out in a year's time. Most regulators are bullet proof if they are rinsed and stored properly and you don't drop them from a moving vehicle. Don't worry about the O rings. They last a long time. They will not "dry out" or degrade in any way during an average 3 year period. If your reg is the type that has a soft seat in the second stage, depress the diaphragm before storage. Otherwise, if the seat takes a "set" the reg may lag or freeflow requiring adjustment or replacement(dealer). If you have a piston reg, after 3 years, the hp seat will also have taken a set causing a change in the intermediate pressure. Replace the seat along with the O rings. The silicone diaphragm and exhaust valve so common today will last 5 years.

Most BC's made during the last 5 years have sealed inflator mechanisms requiring maintenance every 3 years. However, if yours is not sealed(no boot on the button)and especially if it becomes "sticky" it will be a yearly ritual to disassemble, replace O rings, acid dip the filter(if applicable) and grease the moving parts. If you can't remember to rinse the inner bladder, get one with a single bag. These are nicer, much more compact and easier to inspect(G).

Some tank valves have internal O rings, service the valve while the tank is being hydroed. Replace the internal rings, burst disc and external rings and inspect the valve seat. Keep an eye on the valve face ring, inspect it with a magnifying glass from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom