Equipment insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Oinsurance.com. I originally bought it for my camera equipment which covers floods as well but you can also add other dive equipment to it such as regs, BCs, etc. It is about $4 for every $100 you want to insure (per year).

I have no firsthand knowledge, but it has been mentioned in other threads that typical homeowner's insurance covers dive gear and many other personal possessions even outside the home.

I have no firsthand knowledge, but it has been mentioned in other threads that typical homeowner's insurance covers dive gear and many other personal possessions even outside the home.

This is correct and a viable option. You can even add it on as a rider depending on the value of items. I'm not sure how it works for flooded electronics or what the specific coverage or terms are regarding theft/accidental damage so you will have to look at your specific terms and conditions or speak to an agent/representative for the policy or company you are potentially seeking to do business with.

One thing to remember is that any claim against homeowner or renter's insurance will count on your "permanent record", so to speak. You do want to be careful with what you decide to claim and how often you are claiming something as you can be dropped or denied coverage in the future. It shouldn't happen with 1 claim, but do keep this in mind and relative to the other misfortunes that could happen that may be more financially decimating where you would want to do a claim. I have a friend who was very unfortunate and had a few claims in a short amount of time (all legitimate, just a perfect storm for one unlucky person) and they were eventually dropped and had difficulty finding coverage even with a separate insurance company.

For this reason, I choose to have a separate policy for my camera equipment and dive equipment should I choose to insure that stuff. It's fine if it's at home and if something happened, I could claim it with everything else, but when I travel and am out and about....I want it separate - also because I am more likely to make a claim for flood/damage/theft for that, and perhaps even more than once. Crossing my fingers not, though! Just something to think about. The only thing H2Oinsurance.com doesn't cover is mysterious disappearances, so that would include it being swept overboard, or you losing it on a dive to the abyss.

My insurance did exactly that. All gear stolen at a hotel (it was drying outside) and I got full cost of the equipment because it was private property.

My insurance did exactly that. All gear stolen at a hotel (it was drying outside) and I got full cost of the equipment because it was private property.
After a deductible?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom