Equipment Help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveKansas

Reaction score
Hey everybody...when I was in the service I was certified as an Open Water Diver through PADI. It has been way to long since I have been able to do any Diving, and I think I am now in a position to get back involved in the sport. My question is I would rather buy my own equipment rather than rent, but how in the world do you know what you need. Some of the scuba talk is over my head and I am not sure what they are telling me about certain peices of equipment, where can I learn the language, and figure out what direction to go? Thanks for all the help!!!!!

You should probably take a scuba review as well, just to get refreshed. Then as Boogie suggests, read as much as you can on the board. I've also learned more here than any single class could ever teach me.

DiveKansas:
Hey everybody...when I was in the service I was certified as an Open Water Diver through PADI. It has been way to long since I have been able to do any Diving, and I think I am now in a position to get back involved in the sport. My question is I would rather buy my own equipment rather than rent, but how in the world do you know what you need. Some of the scuba talk is over my head and I am not sure what they are telling me about certain peices of equipment, where can I learn the language, and figure out what direction to go? Thanks for all the help!!!!!

The basics;

Outside of your basic gear, mask, fins, snorkel (if you want one) and weight belt

Exposure suit – Wet or Dry depends on where you will be diving
BC – There are a lot of options here
Regulator – Again options
Computer/Bottom timer – how much you can afford is the issue here, but get a computer and sacrifice somewhere else for now.

These are the big ticket items, there are other things you will need like a knife and light.

I wouldn’t buy tanks just yet, wait on this and rent them for awhile first. Spend a little time at your LDS. This may best until you figure this out, they should let you try the gear before you buy or at least allow you to exchange it for something else.

Good Luck to you and welcome back to diving

NEWreckDiver:
The basics;

Computer/Bottom timer – how much you can afford is the issue here, but get a computer and sacrifice somewhere else for now.

Good Luck to you and welcome back to diving

Negative on "sacrifice somewhere else for now" ...

You can do a h*** of a lot of diving without a 'puter. DiveKansas should
spend the money, when that time arrives, on well fitting exposure protection
and a good quality reg and a BC. That's the equipment that ALWAYS needs
to work and work well or your dive is a day on the beach (or boat).

Buy the PADI Encyclopedia of recreational diving. It has a great equipment section that teaches you all the terminology and basics. Then talk to divers, read ScubaBoard and Rodales's and Divernet's reviews.

With respect to ScubaRon - stay the heck away from Rodales.

They're inconsistent as heck, have a horrible reputation around here, and it's for good reason. I've learned a heck of a lot more around here than I ever have reading Rodales.

Yeah, don't listen to anything Roadales has to say! Roadales is good for a laugh (or a shock) and that's about it.

My other piece of advice is to buy the right gear the first time. A lot of people buy junk gear at first and think they are saving money. Later on the realize what a bad decision that was and have to buy everything over again. I know because I did the exact same thing. So, do it right the first time.

DiveKansas:
My question is I would rather buy my own equipment rather than rent....

I used to live in Overland Park. Welcome to the board. Where are you planning on diving? If you're doing local lakes, then buying everything is better than renting for you. I know you don't have a great selection in local dive shops in Tonganoxie, so driving to the shop to rent for local stuff would be a pain. If you're going to do you diving on vacations, buy the stuff that is essential and will pack easily.

Look at buying this list.

1. mask, fins, snorkel

2. 3mm shorty (i doubt you're doing cold vacation diving)
- KS, MO lakes are cold past 5ft due to springs (dive a thick wetsuit or dry for the local stuff)

3. computer (better to get to know one vs. many, you don't want to learn a rented computer while on a dive)
- a watch(bottom timer) will get you through, but you'll become an unpopular buddy on a dive boat if everyone else is diving with a computer (cx means more bottom time)

4. BC (don't pack the weights for travel, you'll get em with the dive)
- this one has so many options, read the board for all the hype on different styles (PM me, i've dived them all - they all work, but some have advantages over others)

Tanks,
If you're traveling, don't need em. If you're diving local, you gotta get em filled anyway - so renting may be easier. This depends on how often you dive local and how long the shop will let you keep em without making you pay extra days. A std 80 cf aluminum can be had for $130. You'll want two in most cases. It will cost about $4 a fill in KC area. See how many tanks you can rent for $260 + fills.

Based on your location, give me PM if you have any questions about KC area dives. There is a lot of info on the board for travel destinations and what you'll need for gear there.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Back
Top Bottom