Equipment for Open water certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just from my experience try masks on whilst you are wearing a hood. Frequently, especially if you have a 5 or 7mm Hood this will change the shape of your face a small but significant ammount.

Just an idea

Jon T

But it's easy to go astray and expend wasted energy kicking in the wrong direction.When your on your front holding your head out of the water you bugger up your whole streamlined profile,creating needless friction in the water and kicking twice as hard to get the same speed.Maybe I do more snorkelling to site then most of you,but I'm in it for the fun and don't like to make things difficult.I can't imagine not having a snorkel on a dive.It beats swallowing sea water.
Cheers ears,
the gasman

On my back for surface swims. Use my compass for direction. If I have one it's in a pocket. Any I never use one anyway. So I rarely take it.
Rick

As I accidently started this great snorkle debate, guess I will jump back in. I also perfer to cover long distances on the surface on my back, hence the lack of need for a snorkle most of the time. I find that I can make more efficent kicks due to my entire fins being under the surface and I enjoy the time to chat about the dive. Having said that, if the water is rough, then turning over and using the snorkle is the way to go. If I think there is a chance of that, then the snorkle goes along, just attached someplace other than my mask. As for going in the wrong direction, agreed that can be a challenge but I simply find a landmark to reference my travel on or if none are avalible a compass heading works just fine.

Martin, did you get the information you needed? Sometimes this crew gets off on some wild tangents.

Herman,

How can you write that this crew gets off on wild tangents? I am offended!

Now, lets see, where were we? Oh yes, the value of carrying a half-cooked hot dog in your BC pocket in case you get hungry in the middle of a dive. Well, in my experience, it would be better to tuck it in between your back plate and your tank....

Joewr

Thanks to all for the lively discussion! I've been snorkeling since I was a little kid and still do a lot of snorkeling on vacation - and have always faced the challenge of rental equipment (mask & snorkel are usually OK, but as I have size 14 feet - fins are an issue)! Therefore - what I have purchased so far (except the weight belt) will serve me well for snorkeling, even if I don't end up liking scuba diving - or I just don't get a chance to do it often. I'll just have to decide after I get some dives under my belt whether I wil continue to carry the snorkel or not.

The high vs low boots comments make a lot of sense - so when I decide to invest in a wetsuit, I'll pick up a set of higher boots as well. (Once again - the low ones will be fine for snorkeling).

Thanks to everyone - I'll keep you updated on my progress through OW certification - and be back again before I make any additional purchase (req, BC, computer, wetsuit, etc.)

Joe

Offended or the offender?? I like them fully cooked and in the POCKET of my bc....

Glad to see you are still with us Martin..Keep in touch.

Back
Top Bottom