Equipment choices...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akmike907

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My g/f just got certed, and I am back into diving after many years out of it. The first thing she wants to buy is a good drysuit, since a lot of our diving will be here in Alaska, and it's hard to rent and have them fit since she has titties, the only sizes are mens large or bigger, then the shoes are huge. Makes sense to me.

Myself, I can continue to rent suits for a while, but the first thing I want is a wristmount computer. I know a lot of them can be integrated into a console in the future. Is this a decent idea of what to get first?

It's reasonable to buy a computer early. What to buy first has been discussed and really there is no rule and no consensus. I assume you have a mask and fins and possibly a snorkel.

I've read lots of good reports on the White's Fusion drysuit, but have no first hand info. It's also a good idea to see what others in your dive club are using, as Alaska diving is rather extreme.

Adam

Many on this board would not agree with me.......:)

But diving with a computer that you know how to use makes diving easier......

Not an excuse to forget tables and know how to plan a dive........

When I travel I take......

mask, booties, computer, dive light, see me tube, c-card, DAN card and whistle.....

Easy to rent BC, reg, wetsuit and fins........

Hope this helps.......M

I don't know what your girlfriend's dimensions are, but one of the nicest things about the Whites Fusion is that it is forgiving in fit. I dive an XS/S, but use my husband's M/L as my backup suit. As long as the seals don't leak, you can make the suit work. And there is plenty of room for titties.

I think good exposure protection is the first imperative, because fit is so important to well-functioning suits, whether wet or dry. And if you aren't warm and comfortable, diving isn't fun. Everything else can come later.

...but the first thing I want is a wristmount computer...

Personally, I think a computer is a luxury item that should be the very last thing that you purchase.

Everything else is more important than a computer.

Can you dive without exposure protection? Not really (where you live).
Can you dive without a regulator? I suppose if you're into free diving only.
How about a mask? Fins? Gauges?

Can you dive without a computer? Most certainly. A computer is never necessary. It's always a luxury.

Lots of good points, lots to digest! Thanks :)

Personally if I have to rent something I don't mind renting the reg, as these are interchangeable: there is nothing to fit and they're simple to operate. A computer takes some time to figure out to be able to use, and a suit and BC involve fit. Those are my criteria of how appropriate it is to rent. Whether something is absolutely necessary or not is not an issue.

Adam

If you live near or in Anchorage, head on over to Dive Alaska on Northern lights in ANC. Talk to Scott and his staff, they are great people and very knowledgeable. They can hook you up with your g/f's drysuit and you with your rentals as well as any questions you need answered. Scott, the owner, is a GUE instructor and is extremely helpful with any question you can ask. Plus he is a great guy, just my 2cents!!

Just my 2 cents:

I am female, 5'1" with curves, and I rent dry suits when needed. These curves put me in men's L, like her, but they never fit me vertically. Makes me look like Stay Puft Marshmallow girl, it bunches up everywhere. And its uncomfortable to dive in. Best of luck to her, let us know what brand fits curvy women...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom