Equipment Buying Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local Halcyon dealer is recommending the Apeks ATX100. It's the current world record holder so at least I know the thing will work at any depth! :lol:

Seriously, it seems a bit pricey over here at US$500 with the AT20 Octo (I think it's a regular AT20 with just a yellow cover) But I figured that since I'm now starting to dive regularly (at LEAST 2x a month, or once a week) I decided to invest in decent, if not great gear so I won't have to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

The Apeks (from my own personal research) is great since the 1st stage is environmentally sealed... this means that it's generally more resistant to dirt, grime, and other in-water contaminants that get in regular 1st stages. According to my LDS, this also reduces the frequency of servicing... he said that even if it's recommended to service the reg every year... the Apeks can go for about 2 years with no problems. Just be VERY careful about not getting it flooded.

I was also told that the Vyper was one of the best recreational dive computers available... so I went to my local Suunto dealer... and what a surprise! They were selling the Vytec for only US$60 more (no transmitter) ... so I got the Vytec instead (US$380)

If you're going to be diving so infrequently... you might want to ask around for people selling their old gear. There are a LOT of people who upgrade quite often and sell slightly used gear for a great price! A friend of mine is selling his slightly used OMS BC rig for only US$280 with less than 20 dives on it.

I was actually tempted to get it, but it's red...and doesn't go with my outfit!!!! :lol: seriously... I'm too set on Halcyon already... but at $280, that's a great deal.

If you have a lot of diver friends... I'm sure they have slightly used gear that they wouldn't mind selling cheap. :)

cstreu1026:
You should also consider the Mk25/G250 as it falls in between in the pricing and is suppose to be a super reg, just a little larger than the S600 first stage.

I've got a G250 and my wife and daughter both have Apeks ATX 200's. I've had a lot more trouble with the G250 than they've ever had with their 200's, though it may be a case of comparing aplles and oranges. The G250 was quite used, and is mated with a MK 10, while the 200's were almost new.

Nevertheless, I think that APEKS is probably the better choice, between the sealed 1st stage and the solid feel and excellent reputation of their equipment (they seem to have pretty well won the drysuit valve business).

Can you tell me more about the BC you bought? I'm trying to upgrade to a slimmer setup (from a Mares Synchrotech pro), but doubt that I really want to go for a full BP/wings because half of our diving is tropical-vacation, with little protective wear and the rest is often involves shore dives for which I'd rather not be struggling with a complicated-looking harness.
Also, although I like big steel tanks, I doubt that I'll need doubles, and certainly not big ones.

jplacson:
My local Halcyon dealer is recommending the Apeks ATX100. It's the current world record holder so at least I know the thing will work at any depth! :lol:

Seriously, it seems a bit pricey over here at US$500 with the AT20 Octo (I think it's a regular AT20 with just a yellow cover) But I figured that since I'm now starting to dive regularly (at LEAST 2x a month, or once a week) I decided to invest in decent, if not great gear so I won't have to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

The Apeks (from my own personal research) is great since the 1st stage is environmentally sealed... this means that it's generally more resistant to dirt, grime, and other in-water contaminants that get in regular 1st stages. According to my LDS, this also reduces the frequency of servicing... he said that even if it's recommended to service the reg every year... the Apeks can go for about 2 years with no problems. Just be VERY careful about not getting it flooded.

I was also told that the Vyper was one of the best recreational dive computers available... so I went to my local Suunto dealer... and what a surprise! They were selling the Vytec for only US$60 more (no transmitter) ... so I got the Vytec instead (US$380)

If you're going to be diving so infrequently... you might want to ask around for people selling their old gear. There are a LOT of people who upgrade quite often and sell slightly used gear for a great price! A friend of mine is selling his slightly used OMS BC rig for only US$280 with less than 20 dives on it.

I was actually tempted to get it, but it's red...and doesn't go with my outfit!!!! :lol: seriously... I'm too set on Halcyon already... but at $280, that's a great deal.

If you have a lot of diver friends... I'm sure they have slightly used gear that they wouldn't mind selling cheap. :)
Just for information, the current deep dive record as far as I know is @313meters and is held by the Mares Abyss.
http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=55
@Kosh:The Apeks is a great breathing reg but I'd suggest choosing a model that will fit your diving.
That said, for diving 1-3 times a year in warm water, the TX20 would be just fine but than you start telling that you are considering to do some quarry diving and maybe even wreck diving. In this case, you shouldn't be considering the TX20 because it is suitable for diving in warm water only! Don't you think that it would be cheaper to buy a better reg from the beginning that will grow with you instead of having to upgrade if you'll decide diving more in colder water or going deeper, where it is almost always colder. BTW, I don't think the AL Titan LX is suitable for cold water either(Not sure though, I know to little about Aqualung)

aquaoren wrote - "BTW, I don't think the AL Titan LX is suitable for cold water either(Not sure though, I know to little about Aqualung)".

It depends on what you mean by 'cold'. I use my Legend LX into the low 40's with no problem at all. Aqualung's Supreme designation is what sets up the second stage for 'cold' water, you know, where you get the chainsaw out to cut a hole?

As to the adjustment knob and 'detuning', I see it and use it as just the opposite. I rarely touch it, but sometimes when I ...er...uh...ummm......have ACCIDENTLY exceeded recreational depths, it is nice to have that extra boost. Of course my reg is adjusted to where if a gnat flies within 10 feet on land, air will flow.

As to ease of maintenance, I think you can't beat the Legend. THe Titan requires a bit more work and a bench where the Legend just needs a tank valve and allen wrench.

As to BC's and 'cheap', don't go there. Inexpensive is OK, cheap is not. Of course budget is always a concern, but don't shortchange yourself. Try the styles and brand you're interested in and pick what fits and suits you best. Remeber, your reg and BC could be part of your family for 10 years or more and you don't want to be disappointed in 5 years. Spending some extra $$ now can save a lot more $$$ later.

Back
Top Bottom