equipment advice for diver getting back into it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaeger28

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! I guess I should introduce myself. I have been certified as an open water diver since 2002 but being in the military and multiple deployments I haven't been able to get into diving. Now I have the time and getting into diving again. I am taking a refresher course soon and hopefully get a couple of dives in before it gets too cold.
Since I am taking this serious I am looking into buying some equipment. If anybody has any suggestions on what should I get that would be great. I don't want to buy top of the line stuff but I don't want cheap stuff. I am really interested in buying equipment that I could dive with for a couple of years and continue my education. I started looking but there are so many different equipment now that I can't make up my mind.
I am looking for everything except mask, snorkel and fins. I will be doing most of my diving on Long Island, NY. Thanks.

David

Try getting a refresher course from someone who can let you try out different types of equipment, eg, BP/Wing, jacket style BC, different regs, different types of fins. That way you can see what you like.

rent for as long as you can and purchase gear slowly. you will most likely change your gear preferences as you accumulate dives. there are so many choices out there, so take your time and really look around.

The others posters offer good advice so I'll add something different. There are literally hundreds of threads asking the same question on SB. browse around and see what suggestions others have made. This will give you a larger spectrum of options than your Lds would be able to provide. There are a lot of really thoughtful gear reviews and you'll quickly start to get more of an idea what you're looking for. Some key pieces of my kit were purchased after much research and rave reviews by other SB'ers.

Like FM1520 posted, don't be in a huge rush. Very few of my initial purchases are still being used simply because "I didn't know what I didn't know" and have since figured out what I needed/wanted.

... And welcome to the board.

Well, I'm going to start with timeline. It's October 17th and we're talking about a refresher course. You're in new York and for a new diver going wet this becomes less attractive by the day. Unless you have tropical plans for the winter I'll suggest holding off. Spend the winter as a ScubaBoard junkie and get the education of a lifetime in the gear forums and elsewhere. Come spring do that refresher and after a few dives in rental gear to confirm your enthusiasm put that homework into practice with some purchases.

Pete

Thanks for all of the great advice. I will rent equipment and see which fits good. Thanks. Is there any particular name brand I should stay away from? I just can't believe how much this sport has changed over the years.

And for another point of view, I offer this: Talk to a reputable local shop. I recommend you only buy new stuff , and get it from a local dealer who will be around to service it or replace it if there is a problem. I bought an entire set of gear before my first pool session in my initial certification class and never regretted it.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for all of the great advice. I will rent equipment and see which fits good. Thanks. Is there any particular name brand I should stay away from? I just can't believe how much this sport has changed over the years.[/QUOTE

Brands you should stay away from: not really. As you look around this board you will see many strong opinions on many different brands (HOG comes to mind). To a degree each brand may offer something different such as lifetime parts, warranties, DYI support... One thing to consider is the availability of tech support/maintenance in your area. In my area (San Diego) there are so many dive shops finding a certified tech really isn't a problem, however if all your gear is the same brand or all your gear is supported by one shop, it makes one stop shopping kind of nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom