Equinox Housing?? Worth Using??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my a friend of mine just found this where he works.
2015-08-21_20.57.201_zpsmx7jc2ih.jpg

Seems they lost the backing of the housing and decided to dump it. It still seems functional if i could get a new back. but the question is, is it really worth it? i cant find a actual camera model label for it. All it has is a sticker that reads pp8pd150-021506-1

I think its a Pro Pak 8 and the camera model it uses is a Sony PD150 which i think would make sense. That camera seems old to me though. i looked for some sample video of it one youtube and it i guess it looks ok but it does not do HD. Found this video filmed with it and it seems like its usable. but i frankly dont know. i would like to know from you guys that use stuff like this if its worth spending more $ to get the camera and the back hatch. i currently use a go pro and all tho it gets me some good video i would be nice to have some camera control and be able to do zooms and video small stuff.

so what are your opinions?

[video=youtube;5CPZ1XmopRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CPZ1XmopRY[/video]

It's DV/DVCam so you're going to see the difference between footage shot on it and on your GoPro. Not as much as other Hi8 etc. models since a PD150 does have better sensors/optics. They're prettty old though, I shot one just before 2000 IIRC and it wasn't new then. If you buy used, inquire about the hours on the heads - I believe it tracks them. They're not going to be great in low light situations without lights. A VX2100 is functionally the same camera without the sound add-ons. Not the VX2000 though, they're worse in low-light.

I would contact Equinox. First to see if they have whatever part you need. And second - ask them about a retro-fit. That's their biggest housing size so a lot of cameras could work. At one time when new video camera models were announced yearly, Equinox had an upgrade program where they would rework, re-install controls as needed. So there might be other HD cameras that would work in that housing also. Years ago it was about $400 for the retro-fit. If it's been sitting for a while, you may want to have it serviced anway - there's o-rings on all the controls as well as the back and the port.

I'd be curious to see what they thought of retro-fitting it for a Sony HDR-FX1 - a discontinued HD model that you can pick up for around $900 or so on eBay. Similar/same form factor. It has a top mounted LCD screen in place of where the microphone/XLR controls are on the PD-150. Which I believe you remove to mount it in the housing anyway - certainly the microphone. So you wouldn't get to use the LCD but I think folded up it would still fit in the Propak 8 - it lays flat on top of the lens in front of the handle. The HVR-Z1U is the "pro" version of the FX1 if you find one of those instead. Equinox sells a back mounted monitor if you want to see exactly what you're shooting.

Just for comparison, my buddy gets some really decent video with one of these: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...s-canon-hf200-hd-video-cam-wp-v1-housing.html The controls are a little limited but you can start/stop/zoom, a couple other basic functions and see the LCD screen. And it's pretty small - I think a Propak 8 is checked luggage.

Notice 2 things about the video - one is the aspect ratio which is why the black bars are there. It will look the same on your HDTV. Also notice that thru most of it he's using a light - granted some of it seemed to be at night but later in the closeup's he is also.

hth,

Last edited:
We disposed of the housing after finding out it would cost as much as a GoPro Hero4 Black to modify it for one of our current HD cameras. There were no takers for any sales. Good luck with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We disposed of the housing after finding out it would cost as much as a GoPro Hero4 Black to modify it for one of our current HD cameras. There were no takers for any sales. Good luck with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool you bumped into this post. i had assumed there was a good reason for them to have chucked this away when it got to me. $400 for a mod seems marginally ok tho. need to really see what i want to do. did you guys throw the back away? a new rear faceplate is like $99.

hopefully down the line i decide what to do with it, let me see what option the company gives me doing a mod if posible would be good i think. if anything it will make a really really good paper weight or a peace of decorative vintage dive gear for when im 60 or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom