Equinox Housing for Canon HV30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense to anyone, but this needs to be settled off line..

I think a great venue for this unending public drama is the Judge Judy show - small claims court. BTW - no one ever really wins in a lawsuit with regards to damage of public image, time lost and hassle.

X

Bruce, how come you didn't test the housing without the camera first? That's the first thing I do with every housing I get. Just curious.

BTW B&H and Equinox (since Sam arrived) have been nothing but great to me. Sam even provided free parts for me for some personal modifications I've been working on for my setup.

Billy

Just to be clear, the poor customer service that Bruce and I have experienced with Equinox are not isolated incidents.

From: DV Info Net -- Introduction (GL2 Underwater [Archive] - The Digital Video Information Network)

Chris C. Corfield July 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
As a note to this thread. As i stated I purchased a GL2 housing from Equinox at the beginning of February. After three months and countless empty promises later, my housing shipped. Gleefull was I, until I opened the box. The housing arrived, with all the extra controls I ordered, but the wrong arms and no LCD. More time goes by and my arms ship, again no LCD. Blame suppliers or misfunctioning LCDs, but it finally shipped Tuesday. I finally tried the housing yesterday, minus LCD, in the local quarry. I had enough waiting. But be forewarned, remove the 6.5 LB weight for fresh water. Instead add a 2lb weight for 60-100' dives and a 3lb for less than. With the 6.5 lb it was so negative you plumit to the bottom. With 2lbs on my dives today, 80' approx, it was slightly positive (no arms or lights), very easy to dive with. I haveto say their product is great, but their customer service is terrible, especially for such an expensive, limited market.

Chris

Reading the quote in this post makes me question if this guy knew anything about a diving basic called pressure. I don't know about everyone else but my housing has the same buoyancy at 5fsw that it has at 130fsw. AND he thinks that the weighting just is wrong, he has no idea it's set for salt water.

Billy

Empty V-

I did not test the housing without the camera because I am a totally amateur videographer and there was no such suggestion to do so in the provided instructions. Nor has either B&H or Equinox suggested that should have been done throughout this long thread. I now know better, but unfortunately a bit too late. One would think that if such a practice is proper, expected or customary, perhaps the manufacturer should suggest it in the literature? It is not reasonable to expect a novice to just happen to know this.

My only other underwater cams have been a Nikonos V and my son's Sealife Mini. Both self contained, thus this was my first experience with a camera/housing kit. I followed the provided instructions completely. I will post the sparse instructions for reader reference also. Bottom line is that the poorly manufactured housing caused the entire kit to fail and damaged numerous components that neither B&H nor Equinox (Soupcan) will issue RMAs for. B&H will not even issue RMAs for the undamaged componants their "belated" terms and conditions of sale state they will honor. B&H remains silient on that breach issue.

I am glad you have had good experiences with them. I just hope you never really need them to do the right thing and have to witness first hand the change of support.

Videos will be posted very soon, the relative quiet is due to formal preparations, not any loss of interest in getting this resolved properly and keeping readers informed of the outcome.

Stay tuned and stay wary -
Bruce

Hey Bruce I'm not arguing with you just wanted to let you know that it's common sense to test something if possible before you put something more expensive in it. That does not need to be put in any instructions. I know if this happened to me I'd be hitting myself over the head for not performing the proper due diligence. When I bought my first P&S camera rig I was and still am an amateur photographer/videographer and knew to test my housing before I stuck my camera in it and not because someone told me to, because housings can leak if not sealed properly. I would say that's the biggest risk when using any kind of underwater imaging gear, wouldn't you? So why not make sure that the one biggest issue isn't one that you'll incur?

It sounds like you might have had some faulty gear but it should have been figured out before you splashed with the camera. Maybe you should save yourself all this hassle and chock it up to a hard lesson learned. That's what I would do, but who am I but a fellow amateur.

Billy

Here we go again. I do believe that this needs to be settled in a different arena. There isn't a product or a business that is perfect. Look what happened to the people that have lost their lives going to space..

Here we go again. I do believe that this needs to be settled in a different arena. There isn't a product or a business that is perfect. Look what happened to the people that have lost their lives going to space..
All

the babies born because noone tested their condoms beforehand! Geez!!!:D

Its not a ghost! I meet Bruce and saw the camera. All he originally wanted was them to fix the problem and send him new equipment. With how he was then treated, he wanted his money back instead of waiting a couple of months to have the problem resolved, which then would have made the camera an OLD model for being a year old, and newer technology would be available, and he would have paid or received an old camera at the new price.

There is no doubt in my mind that with good customer service, they wouldnt have been an issue! How do I know? Bruce told me that in the beginning that he just wanted to have the situation resolved. Who really wants to take a company to court? It takes time and money....

Its not a ghost! I meet Bruce and saw the camera. All he originally wanted was them to fix the problem and send him new equipment. With how he was then treated, he wanted his money back instead of waiting a couple of months to have the problem resolved, which then would have made the camera an OLD model for being a year old, and newer technology would be available, and he would have paid or received an old camera at the new price.

There is no doubt in my mind that with good customer service, they wouldnt have been an issue! How do I know? Bruce told me that in the beginning that he just wanted to have the situation resolved. Who really wants to take a company to court? It takes time and money....

I wasn't talking about Bruce, I was talking about Sugarpuddin88.

I did see Bruce's one post not about his camera http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/239165-andros-island-bahamas-dive-trip-report.html which was a trip report. I think it was regarding the trip where he had the equipment malfunction and in his report he claimed how great of a time he had with his son and didn't mention the camera housing failing. I'm not going to go back but didn't he say that this issue ruined his trip? Interesting...:coffee:

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom