Equalizing ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aelred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As per my introduction I am ready to finish my open water certificate in the open water. In the pool it has not been a problem as the pool is just over 3 mtrs.
I seem to have a problem in that I cannot clear or equilize my right ear, been to the docs today and more or less told me there is not much that can be done apart from some allergy nasal spray. Bought some of this but I have my doubts.
As I bought equipment and paid for my Padi course I wold be devastated if I cannot finish the course and dive due to this.
Can anyone suggest something

I had some problems equalizing my ears at first. I read a tip here on ScubaBoard that has really helped and since then I have almost always been able to descend with no problem clearing.

The tip was to "pre-inflate" one's eustachian tubes on the surface, before putting one's head underwater. The idea is that once they are pressurized - i.e. when you submerge your head without having equalized first - it's a bit harder to equalize them. One SB-er even said he does this before jumping in (boat dive) because submerging during that time could affect the tubes. I've pretty much stuck with just the pre-inflate while I'm in the water but before submerging my head (in other words, "equalize" your ears then). It has made equalizing on descent much easier for me.

Blue Sparkle

I was going to suggest just that Blue Sparkle.

When I teach children how to dive many of them have problems equalizing. I always have them equalize on the surface (pre-inflate). I've never had anyone yet not be able to dive because they couldn't equalize. It may take a little bit of time going down, but slow and steady still gets the dive done.

Good luck. Also, equalize whenever you are descending; even if you don't think you need to.

The links and advice provided are good. I just wish the majority of instructors and agencies stopped teaching only the Valsava method as if that was the best / only way to equalize. You have to find the best way that works for YOU.

Here is another good link that explains the ear and various equalizing techniques: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/download/DiversGuidetoEars.pdf

BTW, not everyone can "pressurize" their ears. Me, for example. But I can easily equalize them and that is all that is needed. When you swallow or yawn, do you hear a slight tapping sound in you ears? If so, you are ready to dive. THAT is all you need to do!

As per my introduction I am ready to finish my open water certificate in the open water. In the pool it has not been a problem as the pool is just over 3 mtrs. I seem to have a problem in that I cannot clear or equilize my right ear, been to the docs today and more or less told me there is not much that can be done apart from some allergy nasal spray. Bought some of this but I have my doubts. As I bought equipment and paid for my Padi course I wold be devastated if I cannot finish the course and dive due to this. Can anyone suggest something
I know what helped me early on. My right ear was similarly difficult to clear. I learned to tilt my head to the left, to put the right ear as high as possible, stretching that eustachian tube. That facilitated equalization on the right.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

Well after a few different tries with different methods it seems to work now, just the right ones needs more coaching.
Thanks to all you guys for replying with good suggestions and advice

Glad to hear its getting easier, just keep practicing, and if you are not comfortable don't push it, not worth damaging your ears if you need to ascend and re-clear.

I'll second Blue_Sparkle's advice. In my OW we were taught before you go down, and on every breath for the first 15-20 feet. I haven't had any problems except for if I forgot to "pressurize" on the surface. Works every time for me.

You said you are in a 3m pool, so the good news is that once you have equalizing in the first 3m down it gets easier from their because the % pressure change gets less as you descend further.

Back
Top Bottom