Equalizing Ears Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the thing about clearing your ears is that it depends on the individual. Pinching the nose is probably the most universal, but somtimes it may be inconvinet. That is were experience comes into play. So once you get one down try an other. After a little while of diving it will become second nature.

I would recommend practicing both techniques, especially if you plan on using a full mask. It will be a bit difficult holding your nose wearing a full mask.

Also, ears are not the only thing that can have equalization problems...

I had to bail out on a dive once due to my left eyebrow... The sinus passage behind it just would not equalize no mater what.

Turns out the next day I had a cold. The congestion of that sinus passage was the first real sign of it. Everything was fine after the cold was over with.

My wife and I just got certified this xmas in cozumel.
While going down I found more difficult than some. My wife had some problems and was even questioning her future diving. When I later asked others for tips I found out that we were doing everything right. One woman offered that what worked for her was moving her head side to side like ear to shoulder while decending. Then we tried something that really helped us both so much that I wonder why it is not more commonly done.

EAR CANDLES, a hollow wax tube the size of thick pen, one end tapered. Been around 100's of years.
Lay on your side, relaxed, with a bit of massage done around the ears, head, sinus and neck.
The tapered end is gently inserted into the ear, the candle is held vertical then lit.
It burns with a small flame for 5 to 10 minutes til its a couple inches from the ear, then remove the candle, that ear is done.
Do the other side.
The left over end can be checked to see the gunk that comes out of the inner ear. You will be suprised.
My head felt 1/2 a pound lighter for days.
This treatment is offered at massage clinics.
You can buy the candles and do it at home. Have a friend do it for you so you can relax and not be worried about the flame. The candle is held in the ear the whole time.
The candle forms a seal in the ear and the warmth and chimmney action is what draws the stuff out.
Ask to watch a friend getting done then you are all set.

This cured my wifes equalizing problems and going down was a breeze for me after.

Ear Candles? I have never heard of those. Sounds interesting. Where can one find these? Iknow you said massage clinics, but the only ones in my area are the Oriental Massage Parlors that are open 24hours, I don't think they would have ear candles! LOL!! Could you pick these up at a place like GNC?

Originally posted by BlowHole
Hello everyone, I'm new to this board. I'll be taking my OW class in February in Monterey. I was reading my PADI OW manual in advance of my first class and had a question about equalizing. The manual states that inorder to equalize, pinch nose, close mouth, and lightly blow againt the inner ear. If I close my mouth am I holding my breath as well? Or will I let out a small amount of air through my mouth? I've been reading this board for a while now and I've learned a lot. Thanks for the info.

There's another maneuver, too. I can't recall it's name, but I've read it was developed in WWII by the Germans to assist their dive bomber pilots, who needed both hands for other tasks, to clear their ears during a dive. It consists of forcing the tongue rearward against the roof of the mouth and swallowing. I find it convienient to do, but I can't do it every time I want.

There's another maneuver, too. I can't recall it's name, but I've read it was developed in WWII by the Germans to assist their dive bomber pilots, who needed both hands for other tasks, to clear their ears during a dive. It consists of forcing the tongue rearward against the roof of the mouth and swallowing. I find it convienient to do, but I can't do it every time I want.

That's called the Frenzel method.

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom