Equalization with glass eye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings SB faithful and thank you for all the great assistance you provide.
We were training several OW students this week end one of which wore a glass eye that was more or less a cover over his original non-functioning eye. There were your normal equalization struggles with a beginning diver but it seemed more difficult than normal. On the next dive he tried not wearing the eye and felt things went much better.
I have had another friend who wore much the same eye and experienced pressure related pain while flying.
Is it possible that the eye covering is trapping gas? It would seemingly seem so.
Just wanted to ask the professionals for advice to give to our student.
He finished the OW but it was not easy for him in the water it was very evident just how much having one eye effects all aspects of diving. I am sure that with diving experience his brain / body will compensate just like above the water.
I think he is planning to dive without his eye in, I just would like to help him as much as I can. Thank you for your help.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Dr. Deco is off-line until July 6 so don't give up on a reply from him. I wonder if this would help: ~ A Must-See Video For New Divers: Equalizing! ~

My son has a left eye prosthesis and has never complained about equalizing.

Hi CamG,

In SCUBA, only air-filled spaces such as the ears, sinuses, lungs, etc., are affected by changes in ambient pressure. Given that all prosthetic eyeballs of which I am aware contain no pockets of gas, there should be no issue on this account alone.

Problems such are described here could possibly be the result of mask squeeze. This vacuum could draw a prosthetic eye away from its socket and cause discomfort. The diver should therefore wear a loose-fitting mask and regularly equalize it upon descent by blowing out through the nostrils.

It also would be prudent to ask the treating ophthalmologist about the possibility of trapped gas anywhere within the eye or of any abnormality in the fitting of the prosthesis.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Hi CamG:

As said, only trapped gas can cause concern. The opthalmologist can offer advice on this issue.

When an eye is enucleated (removed) a coral implant is sutured into place behind the flaps of remaining muscle. Eventually the muscle heals and allows limited motion of the prosthesis. The remaining tissue in the socket is of the same type as the interior of your nose or mouth (mucous) and is very resilient to salt water although it will/can sting a bit like a normal eye. The prosthesis is generally made of a hardened acrylic and is not fixed to the eye socket in any way.

If there was any surgery of the eye socket it is possible that the tear ducts may have been affected but there should not be any involvement of the sinuses.

I am not a doctor and this information is from my understanding of what affects my son who is a scuba diver.

Greetings and thank you for posting. The student is doing very well and has found it more comfortable to dive without the eye. We really appreciate the information and advice. It has been great to be a part of training with Bruce. Thank you all.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom