Equalization methods for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reyshells

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been posted a number of times, but I tried a search throughout the forums and I really didn't find much information. I'm new to diving and I'll be taking my first classes soon, but the ear equalization thing is worrying me. I had bad ear infections as a kid, although I never had tubes. I don't really get them anymore, just one in the past 9 years but it was pretty awful.
I've tried the valsalva maneuver while freediving up to about 15 feet, but it just doesn't work with me, or at least barely. It hurts badly, I don't blow that hard but if blowing "gently" like the instructors tell you to never seems to get the tubes open. Hence why I don't go much deeper than that.. I usually just keep trying to dive until it finally does seem to work and then I'll go a little deeper, but not much at all. This method will suck for scuba.
I just learned there's other methods... one method I heard of (the voluntary tubal opening method) sounds like something I do as a habit on dry land, something along the lines of yawning with my mouth closed and through my nose. I feel the tubes opening, but I don't think I can do this underwater? Another is the toynbee manuever, which is extremely easy for me to do, but it feels like it sucks in my eardrums (like a negative pressure) which sounds like the worst idea ever while diving.

So my question is... what do you guys PREFER? Especially those with a history of ear infections... is the valsalva maneuver standard and used by most, or are there other better ways?

I use the valsalva method mostly. Moving my ears around seems to work too. Other methods include, yawning, swallowing, or moving your jaw. Or you could mix all the methods if that works better.

There's some data here Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page about equalization that might help in your case. Just remember to take your time and don't force it by descending even deeper when you can't equalize.

Here are some relevant threads I found: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...qualizing-pressure-ears-buoyancy-control.html , http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/388240-what-different-way-equalize.html , http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sn...999-how-do-you-equalize-without-pinching.html .

The search function is kind of 'wonky' if you use it from the site. So I just go on Google and search "scubaboard equalization" or whatever I'm looking for (without the quotes).

I use the valsalva method too but I'm afraid that I might be blowing too hard so I am going to try the Frenzel technique - pinch your nose, inflate your nose, and bob your adam's apple. I've heard that it's more effective. It's described in the video on the page Scuba_Noob mentioned. I would highly recommend that you watch the whole thing! It's really informative about ears in general, especially for divers.

divergirl

I hold my nose and swallow. I tried to certify as a teen, but couldn't clear my ears when my instructor only offered the "hold your nose and blow" method. 10 years later, my Discover Scuba instructor offered the "hold nose and swallow" method and it was like magic! I feel like I missed out on 10 years of diving because of that first instructor :(

To the list of things that may work listed so far, I would add a couple more- exhale through your nose once or twice, and also roll your head from side to side. Ear clearing is very much an individual thing. Some people have no issue and don't need to do anything major while other people ( not many) have issues on nearly every dive. Don't overthink the matter. It is easier to clear in scuba gear than freediving- you can take your time and their is an abundance of air and you will descend more slowly. As I look back on hundreds of people with whom I have been in the pool as they try scuba for the first time, I would say that less than 10% have to "work" at finding a good clearing technique. Once you move from pool to open water, there are more variables that can affect clearing: water temperature, exposure gear worn (hood, eg) but really, the odds are very much in your favor that you will be just fine. If there are issues, let you instructor know, and they should have a variety of things for you to try, and in different combinations, to get you to be able to clear. If after trying "everything" you still have difficulty, some people (I am one) find that a single 4 hour sudafed ( the little red ones) 1 hour before diving can be very helpful.
DivemasterDennis

I had a REALLY big problem equalizing, and I just figured out the method that works for me last week:

Hold your nose, blow GENTLY like you're doing a valsalva maneuever, then swallow. Until I read this post, I thought that was the Frenzel maneuver. Either way, it works wonders, and it got me down to 60 feet without any trouble at all.

MIKE

My wife has trouble, in Cozumel this year I finally convinced her "early and often" means as soon as you head is wet and all the way down. She almost never has problems when changing depths once descended, only with initial descent. Descent went much better this year.

Hold nose / not hold nose, and Swallow.
(for me, it's a very slow method, I can hear & feel air going inside)

Doing the "push" method, when one side doesn't equalize, results in overdoing it, and I'll get pain & plenty of blood back on the surface.

The divers I know that go right down w/o problems, say to 40' within a few seconds, have zero sinus problems or congestion. So when they push, it's equal against both ears. With me, it's always one side, but not the other.

1) take it slow
2) slow down - go back up - go back down - there's NO RUSH - just be happy that you can dive, period.
3) make sure your buddy knows you're a slow downer if your buddy isn't a SO
4) if a boat op - the the DM - depending on the dive profile, the DM might allow you to "follow above".
4a. follow above if zero current
4b. going down an anchored buoy - and waiting for the DM to retrieve you & buddy
4c. "buy" private dives - it costs me just the extra diver usually - who's a guide/dm/instructor that's happy to dive for free + a lunch and/or tip.

4c is great for shore diving, or on boat ops that the local hired guide has vetted beforehand, plus a local guide can bring you to see things that you'd otherwise miss.

4c highly recommended for Hawaii shore dives...

Lastly - the first dive after many months is hard, subsequent dives afterwards are much easier. So when "down south" if there's a pool with a deep end, practice being deep uw and equalizing a bit. You won't be very deep, and just down with one breath, but it can help "train" your ears after many months out of the water.

Most people have the most trouble while descending through the 10-20 foot depth range. I really have to take my time there and equalize several times, or I will end up with fluid in my middle ear (blech). Usually I have to swim up a few feet at least once. I sometimes feel like a dork waiting there while everybody else is way below me, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Once I get past that initial hurdle, I can equalize easily after that, and I usually don't have to stop again. It makes sense because the air volume difference is much greater in that range than in deeper water.

I usually swallow because I find that more effective, and easier to avoid overdoing, than pinching my nose and blowing. It takes longer because it takes several seconds to swallow, but it's gentler. I'll try the Frenzel technique or some modification of it next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom