Epson 1280 Printer Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy all. Listening to the great advice on this forum I recently went out and purchased an Epson Stylus 1280 printer. Awesome printer, outstanding quality in all sizes.

Just one small problem. When I use Photoshop (Elements 2.0) to enhance the photos shot at a deeper depth (for example layering to add reds back in) what prints out isn't what I see on the screen. While the photos look "right" on the monitor, they usually print out too redish/purplish.

Now to see if this was a monitor or printer issue, I took a couple of the photos to a different computer/printer combination. Photos looked the same on the different computer (ie matched what I saw on the other monitor) and printed correctly (colors on the print matched the colors on the monitor).

When printing on the 1280 I use the Photo Printing Wizard Printer Preferences and pick the correct paper. I also pick Custom/ICM under Modes. This seems to work well with all photos except layered (and I'm thinking Auto Correct photos have the problem too).

So bottomline, based on printing correct colors on another printer and not on the 1280, I got to believe I'm missing something in the print set-up. Any clues or suggestions?

Thanks........

JT

JT-

I've got the same printer and have not seen big differences between what's on my screen and the printed output. I'm traveling now but will be home this weekend. If you want to email me an image, I can print it on my 1280 and see if it looks like it does on the screen. If it does, we can then compare printer settings and see if we can fix you up. If not, we'll know that at least both of us have printing problems.

I have the same printer with no problems. Strange.

Just a thought...might it be your monitor color that needs adjusting ?

jwlast

the one thing that you have to consider is that a color you see on your screen may not be its actual color unless the monitor is calibtated to the printer. also there might be other things effecting the color such as lighting in the room (angles and type), age of the monitor and how long it has been on.

if your running elements you should have adobe gamma, use that to see if that helps

Tooth

bob3

the video card? you careto explain that one, because the last time i looked you couldnt calibrate a video card, not event the high end video editting cards, that had been mostly limited to monitors, printers, and scanners for calibration

Tooth

You can change the color through the video card drivers.

Detonate:
You can change the color through the video card drivers.

you can change the colors but mainly there is a embedded profile in the card that you cant exactly change all that much and it does about the same as adobe gamma. and truely if you are wanting perfect color for editting no card under $250 is going to cut it (i mean for serious editting and production work, like editting images that are to be sold or put into publication), i have one monitor in my house that is set up for viewing that i have a special custom tone curve(adds a little red, reduces the green by 2 RGB points, and a bump in the contrast to bring up the dynamic range) in it for showing portraits to show people how the image will look after processing and printing.

but for general stuff anything in the nvida FX series of cards will to, and for ATI i dont keep up onthem anymore after going through 4 radeon 9000 (when they were brand new) in less then 30 days because the things would fry(1st one lasted 1 minute before going up in smoke) and or not perform to par, and ATIs excuse it must be a software or hardware issue but unless i paid them $50 they wouldnt tell me, we then i read up that this card wouldnt work with Windows NT, and that was it for me using ATI, i now use NVida cards or matrox depending on weather its a editting system or a everyday system( no calibration needed)

if yourtalking about ATI cards and there color balance feature its a joke ,and the graphic artists that i knowthat use ATI cards say they simply have it set to default settings or disabled and calibrate the monitor with a calibrator since ATIs idea of color balance is a mess along with the drivers

FWIW

Tooth

you can change the colors.....
Yeah, that's what I said.

You have a strange view on ATI cards though. The ATI All-in-Wonder has been the long time champ of the professional multimedia world for years. nVidia cards are great for gamers, but really the newest Radeon cards (9700 Pro on up) are better for that too.

Back
Top Bottom