EPL-1 Electronic Viewfinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottg_houston

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

After much research (and thank you Scubaboard and Wetpixel folks for all the great info thats out there), I've just about convinced myself the EPL-1 is my next underwater cam!!

One of the attractions of the EPL-1 for me over, say, a Panasonic GFI (or the top end Canon point and shoots), would be being able to use a viewfinder underwater (without having to go to the size of a DSLR rig).

So I'm very interested in hearing from anyone with experience of using the viewfinder U/W..and opinions on it generally.

Appreciate your help.

Frank

Thanks for the response and link.

I have not used a viewfinder underwater. On land, however, it has always been my preference even with point and shoots.

The reason I want to do the same uw is basically because with my "ageing" eyes I'm having to hold an LCD about a foot away to be able to clearly see it -which makes spot AF focus tricky and manual focus nigh on impossible.

I'm not ready for reading glasses in my mask yet! (I'm actually mildly short sighted anyway).

In short, I'm hoping the viewfinder will work, and the EPL-1 give me a good upgrade from point and shoot without going to the expense and size of a regular SLR.

Thanks and regards

(Currently using Canon A710IS with single YS 110a u/w and Nikon D90 above).

Thanks Phil and Super 7.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing the issue is the viewfinder is flush with the back of the housing and doesnt protrude in the way most viewfinders on SLR housings do?

thnx for the info

Scott, since I don't own one (yet :D) I can only speculate that you're right.
I wonder why the VF2 wasn't designed as a high eyepoint view finder.

The issue is not that the VF-2 is not a quality viewfinder it is that Olympus chose not to provide a pickup finder installed in the housing, (likely to reduce cost) or to make it possible to install one. all the Olympus DSLR housings come with the pickup finder.

Phil Rudin

Ahh..now I get it!

Thanks Phil, you've been very helpful...

..but I guess its back to the drawing board for me (EPL-1 versus GF1 versus G11/s90 type stuff)

C'est la vie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom