Epic Conditions are Approaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The winds we have had over the past week were exactly what we needed to clear out the gunk. The MBARI report on temperatures at M1 tells the whole story: see MBARI - M1 Contour CTD string Metsys plot - last 30 days. We have significant upwelling taking place right now, and as soon as the seas die down enough to go diving it is likely to be some of the best diving of the year. Already I have heard reports of visual sightings that out by the Great Pinnacle the water is now a deep Caribbean blue. My reading of the swell forecasts says that as early as Thursday might be a great day, but certainly Friday looks awesome. Unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy it. I am having hand surgery done on Wednesday, so the shop (Aquarius) will be closed that day while they cut me up. I'm not sure yet how long I'll be out of the water, but it really hurts to know I'm going to be missing some fantastic diving later this week.

Oooooh. I am going out Saturday (boat) and possibly Sunday (Breakwater). This is great to hear! ETA: except for the part about it making the water even colder.

Good luck with your surgery! I hope you will be back out ASAP!

Bruce get well. i'll make you pictures :)

Bruce get well. i'll make you pictures :)
Didn't I hear that you and Fofo scootered out to the Great Pinnacle on Saturday and could clearly see the kelp lying on top while you were on the bottom at the official 100 fsw? Or maybe that was Gary B...I can't remember. I was stuck at Breakwater and could barely make out my own fins.

That was Gary B, and yes it was crazy clear there and in blue fish cove.

I was going to take this weekend off...now am wondering about Sunday. Think I'll top off my tank Saturday just in case.

Sweet, I'm going on a boat dive on Saturday. The last few times I've been diving the vis hasn't been so great.

Lobos: Thursday was a hazy 40' at best out at lower Beto's; 46 degrees. Conditions deteriorated on Friday, seemed to get worse as we kicked out; never ventured past HITW, where viz couldn't have been much better than 10'; 48 degrees. Today (Sat) was extended range to Shortcut Reef, where viz opened up a bit in spots, maybe 30'-40' at best down around 100'. Still cold, had a low of 46 again, but most of the time it was 48, and up to 50 inside the cove.

Seems any upwelling hasn't been substantial enough to suppress spring bloom.

Upwelling doesn't suppress spring bloom, it feeds it. You have to wait for it to subside, then for the bloom to crash.
My friends told me the viz at Lover's today was 5', pea soup. So I assume a bloom is already in effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom