EOS Rebel XT Advice Needed (Lenses/Housing, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowboyneal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, I've decided on the EOS Rebel XT 8.0 MP, and I am looking for some advice on (a) a housing and (b) lenses. I don't want to go crazy, so here goes:

For lenses, I keep it simple, so it's either I go out to take pictures of bigger stuff or littler stuff (like my technical terms?) and I don't want to buy any lens I can't use in the U/W housing, so, what are my housing and lens options all you nice folks out there? Lighting advice will also be appreciated. Finally, I am not worried about cost right now, but I don't want to spend $5000 or anything crazy like that. Thanks in advance for your advice and interest!!!!

I am leaning to the Ikelite and Fantasea housings...

CN

I'd go with Ikelite housings and ports, probably.

For lenses:
Sigma 17-70 with dome port A friend has been using this lens for a while now and I borrowed it the other day. I like it so much I'm buying one today (I have to give his back because we are on the same trip next month and we both think it will be a useful lens!). It focusses closely so you can minimize the water between you and your subject. The range is really nice for a tremendous range of subjects and compositions. It's pretty fast to focus and it's sharp. It can also be lit pretty effectively with a single strobe. If you want to see a few examples, have a look at the last two photo links in my sig from my first time out with the lens. For $350 ish at sigma4less it's a no brainer in my book.

Canon 100mm macro This is a sweet piece of glass. Fast to focus, though you will likely need a focus light for dark shootin. It allows you to fill your frame from a bit away from your subject so helps with skittish creatures and with keeping your distance from behaviours so as not to disturb. Add TCs later for getting fabulous supermacro stuff. It's relatively easy to light. I personally have found that I don't need the extra distance for most of my shooting so my favourite current lens is...

Canon 60mm macro This is the lens that I almost always reach for. It allows 1:1 just like the 100mm macro above, but you have to get closer. Closer is better underwater. However, as with everything there are tradeoffs - closer is harder to light properly sometimes and sometimes creatures won't let you in that close. So far, for my area, I haven't had a problem getting close enough to fill the frame on even the most skittish creatures like mantis shrimp and gobies...ymmv. I adore this lens. It is also a bit more versatile than the 100 as with the wider field of view you can actually shoot reasonable sized fish and turtles as well as diver heads etc. I have a well framed shot from behind a diver's head as they aim their camera at the turtle in front of them. Diver, camera and turtle all in frame. I wouldn't be without this one.

Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20 These are the ones for wide angle work. You will really need two strobes to do justice to them, though. I had the Sigma but flooded it :( It was a nice lens. I changed to the Canon simply because the budget did allow after the flood. It's a fabulous lens - I love it above water. Haven't had it under myself as yet, but the images from it from others are wonderful.

Woody's dioptre or similar Add this to your macros for more versatilitiy underwater. Check to make sure it fits the Ike ports. Great equipment for like $70!

Strobes
Ike 125 The big boy of strobes. Quickest recycle time. Great coverage. Proprietary batteries.

Inon 240 I use the Inon's and just ordered a second. Light, easy, great coverage, manual control, AA batteries (my rechargeables last forever it seems).

Hope this helps :)

cfelliot:

This becomes like renting a car for me. I reserve a compact at 24.99/day, then, I start seeing what "another $3" will get, then another $4, then just another $2...eventually I'm paying $987/day for a Porsche...hahahaaa...I guess it's something I need to consider, but I am finding such great deals on the 8.0 MP XT...

Isn't the housing and lenses and etc. that much higher too on the XTi?

PS...Thanks Alcina! Great info...I really appreciate it. How are things down under?

The lenses and ports will be the same. At this time there aren't housings shipping for the newer model. There will be soon, I'm sure, but do you want to wait? And are the improvements things you'll notice?

I'm not terribly patient and if I always waited for the "next better" thing to come along I'd still be waiting! As soon as you buy anything they'll release something else :) LOL I'd say it will take a good while to outgrow the Rebel XT/350D.

Things here doing good - even got in some dives last week :)

alcina:
I'd go with Ikelite housings and ports, probably.

For lenses:
Sigma 17-70 with dome port A friend has been using this lens for a while now and I borrowed it the other day. I like it so much I'm buying one today (I have to give his back because we are on the same trip next month and we both think it will be a useful lens!). It focusses closely so you can minimize the water between you and your subject. The range is really nice for a tremendous range of subjects and compositions. It's pretty fast to focus and it's sharp. It can also be lit pretty effectively with a single strobe. If you want to see a few examples, have a look at the last two photo links in my sig from my first time out with the lens. For $350 ish at sigma4less it's a no brainer in my book.

Canon 100mm macro This is a sweet piece of glass. Fast to focus, though you will likely need a focus light for dark shootin. It allows you to fill your frame from a bit away from your subject so helps with skittish creatures and with keeping your distance from behaviours so as not to disturb. Add TCs later for getting fabulous supermacro stuff. It's relatively easy to light. I personally have found that I don't need the extra distance for most of my shooting so my favourite current lens is...

Canon 60mm macro This is the lens that I almost always reach for. It allows 1:1 just like the 100mm macro above, but you have to get closer. Closer is better underwater. However, as with everything there are tradeoffs - closer is harder to light properly sometimes and sometimes creatures won't let you in that close. So far, for my area, I haven't had a problem getting close enough to fill the frame on even the most skittish creatures like mantis shrimp and gobies...ymmv. I adore this lens. It is also a bit more versatile than the 100 as with the wider field of view you can actually shoot reasonable sized fish and turtles as well as diver heads etc. I have a well framed shot from behind a diver's head as they aim their camera at the turtle in front of them. Diver, camera and turtle all in frame. I wouldn't be without this one.

Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20 These are the ones for wide angle work. You will really need two strobes to do justice to them, though. I had the Sigma but flooded it :( It was a nice lens. I changed to the Canon simply because the budget did allow after the flood. It's a fabulous lens - I love it above water. Haven't had it under myself as yet, but the images from it from others are wonderful.

Woody's dioptre or similar Add this to your macros for more versatilitiy underwater. Check to make sure it fits the Ike ports. Great equipment for like $70!

Strobes
Ike 125 The big boy of strobes. Quickest recycle time. Great coverage. Proprietary batteries.

Inon 240 I use the Inon's and just ordered a second. Light, easy, great coverage, manual control, AA batteries (my rechargeables last forever it seems).

Hope this helps :)

thx for the advice.

i dont mean to steal the thread but i am also looking to get an xt or xti. I think i will start with a 60mm just because i prefer shooting up close.

one thing i don't understand though is how housing+ports work. What exactly is a port? do i need a seperate port for each one of my lenses? do most housings include one?

Yes, you need a port for each lens. The port is the part that goes over your lens and attaches to the housing.

Some lenses can use the same port so you will need to ask before you buy to make sure you are getting the right pieces. Some lenses will require a zoom ring or focus ring to take advantage of manual focus etc. Again, you've got to ask!

The housings, in general, do not come with ports as you select only the ports you need for the lenses you have.

Also, note on the 60mm and 10-22 that these are Canon's EFS lenses and will only work with cropped sensor cameras (the 20D, 30D, Rebels etc). They will not work with the full frame cameras like the 5D. This puts some off buying them, but I can't imagine not buying the lens I want now just in case somewhere in the future I buy a different camera. There's always a market for good second hand lenses!

12-24 range Sigma, Tamron, Tokina These should have been on my previous list. I do not have them but know lots of shooters who do and love them to bits. Worth looking at if you think the 10-22 range lenses are just too wide for your needs right now or out of your price range.

Using the lenses and camera? 100s of books on how to - both on photography and on post processing.

Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition is an excellent resource. I haven't been as wildly impressed with a great many of the other "uw photo books" out there - but it's worth looking through as many as you can lay hands on...there seem to be some nuggets in most.

Look at coffee table books, not just technical, how to manuals - the coffee table books provide an amazing array of images to help get your eye, give you ideas that you can interpret uw however you wish, start making the theory you read become concrete, give you challenges to achieve or surpass...

IMHO best to get the gear and start clicking away. Post images. Ask questions. Ignore the program and auto mode. Use M; use Av and Tv - see what each does. There is NO substitute for actually firing the shutter.

If you have specific questions, we're all here to help!

Here's a link to the reference library on another site - filled with all sorts of goodies
http://www.digitaldiver.net/library.php

There's no housing yet for the XTi as far as I can find (aka 400D?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom