EON Steel firmware update suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I would almost certainly buy one if I could match it to the GF my rebreather controller uses.

Just got back from the Caribbean having dove with this computer for the first time.... well 24 times to be exact and I absolutely love it. Definitely still would like to see the features I mentioned but more importantly wondering about the algorithm. Isn't the same Suunto Fused RGBM algo as the zoop? Noticed this computer was much more generous than my old backup zoop. Pretty sure the settings were the same as far as Personal settings. Noticed I still had my zoop set to A2 for altitude for the first dive but even after changing that it was still way out.

Have any new features been added yet? Is there an ETA on the next update or planned deadline?

Isn't the same Suunto Fused RGBM algo as the zoop? Noticed this computer was much more generous than my old backup zoop. Pretty sure the settings were the same as far as Personal settings. Noticed I still had my zoop set to A2 for altitude for the first dive but even after changing that it was still way out.

XS-NRG,

No! The Zoop and almost every Suunto uses the RGBM model while the the D9TX and HEL02 use the "Technical RGBM" and then finally the D9DX and EON use the 'Fused RGBM'. You can find lots of info on the Suunto web sight but basically the Fused is closer to the Technical RGBM for recreational depths and then shifts as you go deeper, longer or add helium to the "full RGBM".

Here is the link to the pamphlet and you will find the discussion about the "shift" on page 12
http://ns.suunto.com/pdf/Suunto_Dive_Fused_RGBM_brochure_EN.pdf?_ga=1.22140987.105568010.1454735790

Thanks for the info! Good to know

Okay another gripe!

When using 2 mixes, why does the Eon ALWAYS default on start up to the leanest mix, rather than the last used?

To explain the scenario further. Just completed 40 repetitive dives over 12 days in Raja Ampat. Both my wife and I (and two friends) carried a 7 litre side slung tank for redundant air (or to allow us to stay that little bit longer with mantas)

We (my wife and I) set the back gas to 31% and the stages to 30%. The mixes were always the same it was just easier to identify that you had the correct tank selected this way (and 1% difference is neither here nor there)

Every time we switched on the computer before diving sure enough the leanest mix was selected. We chose to register the stages as a leaner mix otherwise the computer bitches all the time to switch to a richer mix. Why can't it just stay on the last gas used? Or give you a choice when it awakes after sleep?

Oh another gripe. If you run a tank below the 50 bar (we would surface at 30bar/500psi) you get the low gas warning. Okay fair enough. Then if you switch tanks to one with a leaner mix but more gas, you then get an alarm to change tanks (better mix) Grrr.

Clearly while the Eon knows(because you have more than one gas listed and in my case transmitters on each) that you have more than one tank - except it treats them in isolation.

And please sort out the PODS. I found another one with low battery despite it being changed in Dec, done only 10 dives and not left on, with a low battery. Just checking the battery on an assigned pod means you have to go to the POD menu again. At the beginning of the trip the Pod had a low battery (red) 40 dives later (say 50 hours) still no warnings and still the Pod running okay. Clearly somethings not right somewhere

Some great suggestions. I would ask to add one seemingly minor addition to the list ...

Descent Rate -- extent the existing ascent rate indicator to also display the negative side while making a descent.

• Suunto Eon Steel Tank POD Registers Tank Pressure Above 5,000 PSI but Suunto Eon Steel Dive Computer will NOT Display it until it drops below 5,000 PSI.

• Add Dual Tank Pressures Display for use with Sidemount and Rebreather (Diluent and Oxygen Tank Pressures).

• Suunto DM5 Graphical Display list Oxygen Consumption when in Reality it is Diluent Consumption. Add Diluent and Oxygen Consumption Tabs.

• Proximity Mode Pairing works for CC and OC Gases. Menu Mode Pairing does not work with CC Gases.

• Display Tank POD Serial Number when Switching Gas in Dive Mode.

• Customize Tank POD's Gas Name.

• Display Battery Percent Full Numerically and Graphically.

• Rebreather Auto Setpoint Based on Depth. Surface is Low Setpoint. Switch to High Setpoint @ Define Depth (30 Feet). Current High Setpoint Depth is too Deep.

• Allow Rebreather Custom Setpoint Change to 1.6 and CC Gas to Nitrox 99 Diluent during Deco to Match Rebreather Loop Flush with Oxygen.

• Option to Turn Off Algorithm Lock.

• Add Apnea Dive Mode.

• Add Heart Rate Monitor.

Last edited:
Good idea... please keep posting. It will definitely be taken into account!

br Hendrik

I went trough this forum, and there are some pretty good suggestions (especially regarding sidemount, tanks switching, etc) but i wonder if Suunto really watches this - some of these ideas would even further support tank pods sales etc (as for me, I tried, but at this point has no use for it - I would love them, but not at the current lvl) .. but there has been no update since November 2015, so I wonder if there has been any progress since that :(

I went trough this forum, and there are some pretty good suggestions (especially regarding sidemount, tanks switching, etc) but i wonder if Suunto really watches this - some of these ideas would even further support tank pods sales etc (as for me, I tried, but at this point has no use for it - I would love them, but not at the current lvl) .. but there has been no update since November 2015, so I wonder if there has been any progress since that :(

I agree. I just made the switch from Mares Icon HD Net Ready but I am also concerned that no updates for nearly a year has been posted. Stability and security is of course top prio, but at this price level I expect that Suunto stays on top with new features and upgrades. What is in the roadmap Suunto? Please tel us.

Last edited:
I've been in direct contact with Suunto regarding Tank Pod issues, which were resolved, and transpired that a large part of teh issues may have been cause by batteries on the shelf and the dealer not following the Suunto instructions to allow the pods to reset before putting a new battery in.

I was advised to send my feedback to customer support at Suunto where it goes through the correct chain. There are a couple of Suunto people watching these forums and if you have a really urgent issue you could always PM them.

From my discussions all I know, Is that some of my suggestions are already being planned or are in work for future Software updates. And they are reviewing others (I don't know which)

Again I'm presuming, but the last SW update was December 2015 so I would guess the next will be around that time. The first one was soon after release to add CCR and then the SW was tweaked again with some other functions. I'm guessing major changes would take more time.

So far my Eon has had over 200 dives, been used for simple 2 tank dives, multi gas deco dives to 50m and back to back LOB diving (3 weeks constant diving) So far I've had no major issues, just some annoyances - which might be personal and not affect others (just as I didn't see the need for the air time remaining as I don't use it).

Back
Top Bottom