Entry level regulator set.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont be fooled into thinking these things are complicated pieces of equiptment, they are not. Get what you can afford, have it serviced regularly (better you learn to do it) and they will last a lifetime. Dont let age of a used unit scare you off, there is some great stuff out there.

Old regs scare the dickens out of me.... or at least anything older then my 1958 DA Aquamaster. :)

Old Sherwoods are a good choice, rock solid and easy to service. They may not be the best performers around but odds are they will still be diving when the new whiz bang regs are piles of plastic junk.

If I were in the market for regs I would seriously consider HOG/Edge. They are very well made regs and you can pick up a HOG set (first and second) new for $250. I know people who are diving them and compare them favorably to Apeks which they are basically identical to. Dive Right In Scuba has the Edge Epic with an octo and a reg bag for $329. Why buy used when you can get new at those prices. AND you can buy service kits to do your own service.

I have 4 complete sets of Scubapro regs for twins and Stages in Dir configuration and my wife wont let me part with her Old Sherwood Maximus.
Maybe you should try a few different kinds of Reg to see what will suit you
Not sure how pricing in the US compares but finding a good set of Sherwood Maximus/Oasis/Blizzards that are in good cosmetic condition and factor into the previously mentioned service costs you should be able to find a bullet-proof set for not a huge outlay.
Generally speaking good on the outside should mean not too bad on the inside.
The other thing I always allow for is if the regs are not in your preferred mount style (Yoke or DIN) the you need to allow at least another $40 to swap them one way or the other.
If you intend to travel, parts for a MK25 Scubapro, ATX/XTX200/100, or any other high end reg probably are not going to be available in Palua/Truk/FIJI/Indonesia so a standard reg can sometimes be more attractive.
I had a problem in Micronesia last year.
You can picture the look on the face of the local when I asked him if he had the parts or tools to service my Titanium Scubapro MK25 with a leaking high pressure seat.
:merryxmas:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom