Entry Level Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt Dog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First I am 32 and entering this profession so I know I am behind the curve, but I am a recently separated Marine in good shape, I am not worried about the physical side of it.

BUT I am looking at the Commercial Dive Academy in Florida, they seem to have the most wide ranging certifications. I want to complete the Air/Mixed Gas course which includes U/W welding, but I also plan to add the DMT course.

Their site says they have an 85% placement rate, but everyone on here keeps saying there are no jobs out there, so what is the story. As I said I'm a former Marine and I will have no issues travelling for work, I have no "home" to speak of my home is where my wife is. She is used to me being in and out obviously.

Does anyone have insight on the CDA, their courses, instructors, etc. If I am plopping down 20K I want to be sure of where I am headed. Also I see they offer a course to become a Rec instructor certified by NASE, but I have never heard of NASE.

The other thing is what do all the certifications they offer do for me? Are they the ones I need to work overseas and offshore? I don't want this to be like a person who goes to a private college only to find out their school wasn't accredited and their degree means nothing. I guess it is the Corps in me but like the saying goes Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail.

I'm not interested in "don't do it" give me facts and reasons

Lastly I am in this because I truly want to be a commercial diver, I have no illusions about getting rich, or having a 9-5, I like rough work, I like travelling, and I like working alone. Thanks a lot guys I appreciate any/all help.

S/F

Their site says they have an 85% placement rate, but everyone on here keeps saying there are no jobs out there, so what is the story.
Who you gonna believe- the school who's business it is to get students to give them 10 or 20 grand or a bunch of commercial divers who are out in the field experiencing the industry's job availability first-hand?

@ fstbttms I completely understand what you are saying, but it is not just a post on their page, it is a report they are required to file with the Dept of Labor, if they are fudging it they have bigger worries then declining student enrollment. Not that it would be unheard of.

There are jobs out there. I was very fortunate and was connected with a guy about 15 mins from home. Alot of people that i know that claim they cant find work is because they dont want to travel, have unsteady pay and work schedule which is about 95 percent of the industry.

I have been out of the commercial diving business for over 20 years but 20K sounds like too much money to me. The reality is that while you will be doing a lot of diving in these courses they are training you to be a tender not a diver. The placements they are referring to are for jobs as a tender. A tender is just like being an apprentice, you will work your way up to diver, you will not be coming out of this course and working as a commercial diver on your first day.

richkeller said it all.....
These schools are in the business to make money. There are other training venues, checkout the off shore diver site for info.
20 G's is a rip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom